using Airport Express to extend Linksys wrt54g2 v1 network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matt07lx, Sep 6, 2009.

1. matt07lx macrumors newbie

I realize that Apple states that AX cannot be used to extend the range of non-Apple base stations, but I've seen some older guides which give instructions on how to do this for the Linksys WRT54G and older Mac OS (Tiger?). (for example, here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368 )

These instructions, at least, are no longer valid for my current setup (early 2008 MBP, Leopard).

Anyone have any idea how I can do this? Is it possible?

Thanks!

2. matt07lx thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, here's the deal. It (at least) USED to be possible to extend a Linksys network using the old G Airport Express, and maybe older versions of the Airport Utility.

When I try to do this now - there's no way to enter a WEP 128 bit password (the only option is WEP (transitional security network) - which doesn't allow enough characters). Plus, under the internet tab, there's no option for "connect using: wireless" anymore.

The automatic "extend a wireless network" and "participate in a WDS network" options don't work for me.

Any suggestions?

3. matt07lx thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved! Just in case anyone ever encounters this problem in the future, here's how to do it. Check this link, the comments were what led me to the answer: http://rgbdream.com/2005/09/06/linksys-wrt54g-airport-express-and-wds/

First, use "Participate in a WDS network", instead of "create a new wireless network".

Type the wireless network name of the Linksys' network and select the correct channel.

Then, to get around the WEP password length problem, you can hold down the "option" key in the Wireless tab of the Airport Utility while selecting the "radio mode" pulldown menu, and find "802.11b/g compatible". This will give you the option of WEP 128 bit for the password type below. This was a problem because my Airport Express is an N, and you can't get the correct WEP 128 bit security unless you manually set it to B/G.

Continue on to the WDS tab and select "WDS remote", and enter the Linksys router's WIRELESS MAC ADDRESS under "WDS main". You MUST enter the wireless Mac address here, not the router's address. You can find this in the Linksys web based setup tool, or in my case (since I didn't know the password of my roommate's linksys router) use iStumbler to get the MAC address.

That's it. No ethernet wired connection even necessary!