Using Airport Express to extend non-Airport network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stagmeister, Jun 14, 2012.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

I have an airport express (not the one that just came out). Is it possible to use it to extend a non-Airport Extreme network? I am also OK to hook up a really long Ethernet cord to my main router, put the airport express across the house, and hook it up there. Would that work? Or does it only extend Airport based networks?

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

It will only extend a wireless network if the host router supports wireless distribution system (WDS). You can check this in the settings or manual for your router.

Otherwise, if your willing to run a long cable that will work. Just set the AE to bridge mode.

3. SpinalTap macrumors regular

SpinalTap

I use a legacy AE with my 'old' Netgear router to extend its wireless range.

You will only have to connect the two by ethernet during initial setup by using the Airport Utility app (remember to reset the AE first). Just join your existing wireless network using the relevant passwords and you're good to go.

Be prepared/patient in waiting for the AE to detect your wireless network when you relocate your AE to its chosen location (go have coffee).