Using airport express to extend wireless

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mellow, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mellow macrumors newbie

Hi, I am thinking about buying an airport express to extend the wireless coverage in my house.

I have a wireless router, however the signal does not quite reach the other side of the house. At the moment I use some network over mains equipment, like http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm, to connect a desktop up at the other side of the house.

I was wondering if I will be able to connect an airport express up to one of these power line adapters and use it in conjunction with the other wireless.

Thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, you can do that,

just put the express in "off (bridge mode)" on the internet settings page, then give it exactly the same SSID and security settings as your main router, your devices will then switch to the stronger signal automatically. You'll also want to be in the same radio mode (b/g/n) as the main base.
    Or you could use a new ssid and add a N network to your exisiting B/G so "my network-N" and "my network G", but you would have to manually pick which one you wanted.

and if you're thinking about wirelessly extending your network, unless your main base is :apple: don't think any more, it doesn't work well with other manufacturers bases. But wired works great.

3. mellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that is why I though I might try wired.

Thanks for your help.