Using Airport express with an existing network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sas76, Jun 19, 2007.

1. sas76 macrumors member

Hi

I need help

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem/router. I have it connected and it works perfectly. I can use the net etc from my ibook no worries.

My problem is this.

I want to use my airport express to extend the range of my D-link network (to plug an xbox 360 into the ethernet port, I assume this will work as if it was hardwired to the modem and airtunes)

My airport setup utility cannot see my D-Link modem and if I put in the I.P address and password it say's it can't read the configuration.

I hope someone has a solution for this I have read everything I can find with no luck. It dosn't help that I don't really understand the terminology so please be very basic with you answers.

Is it a setting in the existing network ? or something else ?

I have the airport express setup for WDS, I think this is setup properly and the airport setup utility can see the airport express.

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of security do you have on the current network? The Express won't extend the network, but it should be able to join it and allow you to use AirTunes through it. :)

3. sas76 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responce, I have taken all security off at the moment. Yes I can get airtunes working but can't get it to work with my existing setup.

What do you mean express won't extend the network ?

Cheers

4. bendesu macrumors newbie

He means that the express won't actually extend your wireless network, only act as a client to the router you currently have. When you set up the AX, you select "connect to an existing network" (or something to that effect) and it should do exactly that, but your range will still be limited to that of the original router. If you HAVE to extend the network, you're going to have to go with a Mac router.

Just went through the same problem and had some problems connecting at first...turned out I had restricted access on the router and once I put the AX MAC address in the list, things worked great.

5. sas76 thread starter macrumors member

Just went through the same problem and had some problems connecting at first...turned out I had restricted access on the router and once I put the AX MAC address in the list, things worked great.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to sound dumb, but how do I do this ? I reallly don't understand the terminology very well.

Thanks

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it's slightly different for each router. Read your router's manual as to how you can disable the MAC address security settings. bendesu is spot on when talking about the network extending versus joining the Express to the network.

7. sas76 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the responces.

Just to clarify I want to "join an exisring network" not extend it ? Y/N

Turn off MAC security setting on my rourter ? Y/N

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yes and yes. I'd try to help you more specifically with the MAC bit, but it's been a while since I've used a D-Link. All routers have slightly different setups. :eek:

9. ava06 macrumors newbie

Yes, I am having the same problem with my 360. However, I have a lunksys router. Do I set it up the same way? Please be specific