Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wheeler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I am using an older Airport Express (b/g) to create a wifi network for music at our tailgates. I am using a nettop with iTunes DJ running, and have never been able to consistently get my iPhone to connect to the wifi network and control iTunes. It will either never connect, or will connect briefly then lose connection. The iPhone always has 3G symbol up and not the wifi bars. The airport express is obviously not connected to the internet, which I think is causing the issues, which are the exact same with all iPhone models.

Question is- what are the best settings for the airport express for this situation, specifically telling it there is no internet connection? I have other airport express' at home and have no issues, think it might be the older model?

Any help appreciated- cause iTunes DJ is sweet for tailgates but sux if you can't control the music!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The iPhone is connecting, but it only shows the WiFi in the status menu if it is on an internet connected WiFi network. Check your WiFi settings in the Settings app. You'll see that it is connecting and getting an IP address. But ever since iOS 4, iOS have been setup to stay and use the available internet connection. To fix this, you have to put the iPhone into Airplane Mode, then turn on WiFi and connect to the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.