Using Airport Extreme with built in FTP Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kayut, Jul 10, 2011.

1. kayut, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

kayut macrumors member

Hi,

I wondering if Airport Extreme offers a built in FTP for accessing the connected Hard drives from outside of local network.

The Router FritzBox made in Germany can do that but it is much more expensive than Airport Extreme.

I will buy Airport extreme if it comes with FTP built in.

Thanks

2. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Here the link to FritzBox:

FritzBox

Is there any way to access a HD which is connected to Airport Extreme over the internet?

3. dgr macrumors member

It allows for hard disk sharing over the internet but I don't know if it uses the FTP protocol. I use my QNAP NAS which has the FTP service built in.

4. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for your answer.

How does it work? Over the browser?
    Do you access the hard disks over a IP?

5. dgr macrumors member

I would have to try setting it up to get an exact answer but according to this thread, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=672148 ....it uses SMB which makes sense so you should be able to use any SMB client.

You don't necessarily have to use IP, I assume you have a dynamic address from your ISP. If not then no big deal go ahead and use your IP. If your address is dynamic then you probably want to set it up as a dynamic dns host (http://www.dyndns.com/).

Since I have all the tools to test it I can give it a try when I get home later today.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have a Synology NAS (IMHO slightly more Mac friendly than QNAP) and you can do WebDAV or FTP and it works great with OSX.

<command> K from the Finder will attach.

7. dgr macrumors member