Using Airport Extreme with Verizon FiOS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benjamindaines, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I just got Verizon FiOS installed today, and I am looking to find out how to use my Airport Express as the router. I have it working like this...

FiOS router / modem (wireless turned off) >Ethernet> Airport Extreme WAN Port >Wireless> Computers.

It works, however ports are being blocked by the FiOS router, which I have forwarded on the Airport. How do I get the "raw" internet to go to the Airport?

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Is your airport extreme in Bridge mode? I have mine set up the same way as you do. Unfortunately need the Verizon router for the TV cables. Port configuration should be done on the Verizon router when the airport is in bridge mode.

Steve

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I don't want the Airport to be in bridge mode, I want it to handle all the DHCP (even if it's a second layer ontop of what the FiOS box does). I need to find out how to allow ALL traffic to 192.168.1.2 (Airport's IP). I've tried DMZ and I was still unable to connect into SSH from an outside network.

4. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I think I may have figured out what the problem is, but not the solution. If I type in my DynDNS host name it takes me to the configuration login screen for the verizon router. So I need to figure out a way to make this not happen, perhaps make the FiOS box only configurable from the internal IP (192.168.1.1)?

5. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I tried the same thing before....I never did figure it out. If you leave it the way it is now (with them both being DHCP servers), you will have some ip configuration errors--so be careful. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Steve

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

I had the same issue with the ActionTec router. It was fantastic until they got caught violating GPL. After the fix, wireless stopped working on all of my Mac and Linux items.

I never figured it out and stopped trying. The ActionTec router is incredibly adjustable, but if you do certain things, the powers that be periodically undo them, even though I turned off auto-updating (this scared me enough that I just stopped messing with it).

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Ok, it seems that it works the way I want it to from an outside network.

8. haze macrumors regular

I had to spend a total of about 4-5 hours on the phone with Verizon FiOS until I got somebody with half a brain to get things working right with my AEBS. The problem is, by default, they have their router setup via MoCA running through coaxial.

However, the FiOS ONT unit can also run through ethernet, but they don't like to tell you that. Hence the 5 hours. Once you get a manager, they can switch it over to ethernet.

So, I have CAT6 running from the ONT to the WAN on my AEBS. Then one of the LAN ports goes out to the Verizon router. Unfortunately, you still need it because the channel guide and other stuff runs through it. Stupid, stupid, stupid design!!! Plus, you lose a GigE port. Plus, the coaxial still running through the Verizon router. All is well now and my AEBS does DHCP and port forwarding and everything else. It was a hassle. Why do they think everybody wants their crappy router with no GigE and N wireless????

9. daveyostcom macrumors newbie

Using a non-Verizon router with FIOS

Let me see if I have this right. Is this what we should do?

There is a coax cable going from the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to the Verizon router. Leave this cable in place.

Hook an Ethernet cable from the ONT's Ethernet jack to the Time Machine's WAN jack. (Time Machine is just a particular form of an Apple Airport Extreme router).

Hook an Ethernet cable from one of the Time Machine's LAN jacks to the Verizon router's WAN jack.

Get Verizon support to configure the ONT so it passes Internet connectivity through the ONT's Ethernet jack (instead of or in addition to passing it through the coax jack?).

Reset the Verizon router (so we're starting from a known configuration).

Set the Verizon router to get its network connection from its Ethernet WAN jack instead of from its coax jack (or have Verizon support do this).

- - - - -

Is this right? If not, please edit it and post a corrected, complete explanation, rather than trying to explain what is wrong with the above.

Thanks!

10. daveyostcom macrumors newbie

Using your own router with Verizon FiOS

See my instructions on how to do this.

11. vaughntreco macrumors newbie

Thanks...with a updated inquiry

Good morning Dave,

Thanks for your very clear and helpful guide for getting the Apple Airport Extreme working with Verizon FiOS.

Since I am new to Verizon, and your post is over a year old, I was wondering if there is anything new that I should be aware of when I speak with Verizon FiOS's tech support people?

The device that Verizon installed is:

Manufacturer:
    Verizon/Actiontec

Model Number:
    MI424-WR Rev. F

Thank you in advance for any further help you might be able to offer.

Best regards,
    Vaughn

12. newmacconvert macrumors newbie

Verizon

Great Instructions - What is the likelyhood that Verizon will do this?

"Get Verizon support to configure the ONT so it passes Internet connectivity through the ONT's Ethernet jack (instead of or in addition to passing it through the coax jack?)."

Is their anyone else that had luck with this?

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

14. andymodem macrumors 6502a

It's a piece of cake to do. Alternatively if you don't want to call, on the FiOS forums over at dslreports.com, there is a section called Verizon Direct, that you can request that change be made. Tis' how I did it and it worked beautifully.