Using Airport in a hotel

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ClemTiger0408, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Currently, I am living in a hotel. The hotel does not offer wireless internet only ethernet.

This is the type of service where when I first try to connect, a website is displayed where I have to select an agreement to be offered access.

If I purchased a Airport wireless router, would I be able to broadcast to myself wirelessly?

On my Xbox, I am able to connect to the internet by doing a MAC address clone. I would think that if Airport can do this, I'd be able to accomplish this.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

2. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, for anyone who comes here and tries to do a search on this, like I did...

The AEBS will NOT work in a hotel network. The AEBS does not allow for MAC cloning (which is just stupid, if you ask me). Instead I purchased the D-Link DIR 655 and it is working flawlessly.

This is just another example of Apple pricing something as a top teir model but yet does not include basic features offered by much cheaper competition.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Hmm, I've had no problems using my Airport Express at any of the 50+ hotels I've stayed at over the last few years. :confused: Why does your hotel require a specific MAC address for Internet access?

I especially love the "profile" feature of the Airports (so that it remembers specific configuration settings). I have a "generic" profile I use when I'm at hotels (which tells the AE to use DHCP), and I have my "home" profile that I switch to when I'm back at home (which has all of the settings for my AE to join my home network in WDS mode). It's nice not to have to reconfigure the thing from scratch every time I travel.