Using Airport with PC laptop - how to secure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KarenGloyd, Dec 26, 2008.

1. KarenGloyd macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am not currently a Mac user :( but I am using an Airport to connect to the internet using my Gateway laptop. My question is this - my son (who is a Mac user) left his airport behind when he left home, and it works great with my Gateway. However, it is unsecured and I can't figure out how to secure it. Do I need him to do this from his Mac? Please help!

Thanks.

2. ziggurat macrumors newbie

if he gives you the admin password i think u can do it from windows with the apple software for it

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Assuming you know the admin password, you need to install and run the Airport Utility for Windows on your machine to configure the router.

4. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Yes, do what Cliff3 says and download the AirPort Utility for Windows, once you have done that, click here to view the manual for your AirPort allowing you to set it up correctly.

Hope this helps...

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

KarenGloyd, even if you don't know the admin password, you can use a paper clip to depress the reset button on the back of the unit for a few seconds and that should reset the unit to its default settings. The default password then becomes "public" (all lower case, no quotes) and you'll be able to set it to whatever you wish later.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you reset it and you connect via wired you don't need to enter a new password. Anyways the utility to use is called the Airport Utility as specified by Cliff3