Using AirTunes with Airport Extreme..how?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kolax, Sep 27, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express.

I've tried to get the Airport Express to extend the Airport Extreme network but I can't seem to find anything to do that in the settings - I can make it join a wireless network but it doesn't ask which one to join or anything, just a setting.

How do I do this?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I have 2 wireless networks set up to do this:

1 w/ Airport Extreme (5GHz N only)
    1 w/ Airport Express on extended network (2.4GHz G only)

set up your main network. Then go into the settings for your airport express and set it to bridge mode (under internet tab > connection sharing). Then iTunes should see your remote speakers.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you have your Extreme setup in 802.11n-only mode? The Express wouldn't be able to see it then, unless they were connected via Ethernet.

~J~, is that how you're doing it?

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Nah it is in 802.11n (b/g compatible).

I can't seem to be able to connect to the Airport Express now I changed it to Join A Wireless Network, so I can't change it now!

Doesn't show up in the Wireless options or Airport Utility...oh dear.

Tried resetting and turning the Airport Express on and off, nae luck.

5. ~J~ macrumors 6502

My apologies... I left out some important details. Here is how I have it set up:

-Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) is configured as N only (5GHz)
    -Airport Express #1 (AE1) is configured as I mentioned above, and is HARDWIRED into the AEBS.
    -AE2 is connected to my remote speakers.

Here are the connections:

AEBS (N only, 5GHz)
    My MBP
    Any visiting MB/Ps (friend's computers)
    My :apple:TV

AE1 (G only, 2.4GHz)
    XBOX360
    AE2
    My iPhone
    Visiting iPhones / other handheld devices
    Other G only devices (PCs, mostly)

AE2
    Remote speakers

It would be easier to draw a picture... but this should give you the idea. I did this for a couple reasons:
    1. To maximize throughput to my MBP & :apple:TV (I stream movies throughout my house to both devices)
    2. To allow connection of any G devices
    3. To allow use of AirTunes (even across 2 networks)

As you can see... I am a (wireless) Geek... and so are my friends. This is not a confession... just a sad realization... :eek:

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, let me know (PMs are fine)

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I've had weird issues with mine. Sometimes after resetting it (using a paperclip to press the reset button until the light turned a different color) and waiting for it to reboot, I had to switch WiFi networks on my computer to the network that started with "Apple" (followed by a bunch of numbers, which is the default WiFi network of a newly reset Airport). Only then could my MBP see the Express, and I had no problems using the Airport Utility to add the Express to an existing network. :confused:

~J~, your network is virtually identical to mine, except my first Express is an UFO Extreme, and my AE2 acts as a bridge for my roommates TiVo/hardwired PC, in addition to remote speakers. :) Oh, and I have a Wii instead of an Xbox :D

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I've reset it and it has Airport plus a number of numbers, but the password doesn't work, tried password etc.

What is the default password?

8. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Shouldnt be any password on it... did you hold in the reset button until it flashed??

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I've held the reset button down - it is set to WPA (password security) and that is the only option, and I need to enter something for the OK button to become enabled.

10. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Okay, Airport Express is working again. Let me say my setup again:

Laptop connected to Airport Extreme. I want to stream music to my Airport Express while connected to my Airport Extreme.

How do I get the Airport Express to talk to my Airport Extreme?

I want this all to be wireless.

Cheers!

11. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Go into the setup for the AE, and tell it to "join my wireless network". you then will select your network from a list, type in your password. it will configure the rest for you. after that, you are all set up!

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

That's the problem - when I select "Join a wireless network" nothing happens, I don't get a list of wireless access points to join!

I'm quite puzzled, I've checked out WDS on Apple's info website and that looks an arm and a leg to setup properly.

13. ~J~ macrumors 6502

You dont need to set up WDS for AirTunes to work. hmm... I have a document on configuring ur airports... have a way I can send it to you? PM me.

14. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Ahh I got it to join my Airport Extreme - I somehow managed to miss the list. Cheers.

But now, Airport Utility restarted the Airport Express after updating it (set it to join my Airport Extreme wireless network), it won't appear in my wireless list or show availability in iTunes!

15. aristobrat macrumors G4

When the Express restarts, it should be joined to the name of your other WiFi network, so it won't show up in your wireless list.

If it doesn't show up in iTunes after literally a minute or two, I'd make sure that your iTunes is set to look for remote speakers. If it is, maybe run your Airport Utility again and go into the manual settings of the Express and make sure the option to stream music is enabled?

16. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

I've left it for 10 minutes and nothing - not showing up in iTunes. Restarted iTunes too.

It doesn't find the Airport Express in Airport Utility either - just my Airport Extreme. Quite frustrating trying to get this working!

Cheers for help so far.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

can you select the "music" section for your airport extreme?

18. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Nope - there is no music tab in the Airport Extreme setup.

I can't even connect to the Airport Express to configure it again, doesn't get displayed at all.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

Keep dicking around with it. It took me a few resets (where you use a paperclip to press that little button) of my Express before I finally got everything setup correctly.

20. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

So a "Music Section" should appear in the Airport Extreme Utility, like it does in the Airport Express?

Have you got any screenshots to help guide me?

Cheers - gonna have a wee play with resetting it.

21. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

After a lot of fiddling about - finally got it working!

Cheers for all the help :)

22. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

I just got one of these and they work great!!!!

As a quick overview -

plug in the express, wait til the solid orange light flashes slowly, then check your wireless connection (airport wifi icon) you should see something like
    apple 123456 connect to it. then run aiport setup utility (in your apps/util section) there you can configure it to connect to you current wireless network. after your done that it will reboot and connect to the network. now you have to connect back to your network and it should be accesible in itunes within about a min or so as external speakers!!! :)

if you want to play non itunes content over express you will need airfoil! :)