Using AJA IO w/MBP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chinarider, Jan 29, 2008.

1. chinarider macrumors regular

Does anyone use the IO box with a MPB? How do you have your drives set up?

AJA claims that you can't use a FW drive at the same time - Because the box uses the FW bus bandwidth "extensively" - But that was back in 2004, so I was wondering if the FW bus has changes significantly since then and if you can use FW drives with the AJA.

If not, do you use SATA?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FW400 and FW800 haven't changed since they came to market. You can buy a FW or eSATA card to use in the ExpressCard slot as a solution though.

Lethal

3. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Lethal - I guess I was hoping for a seperate Bus for each port. AJA recommends the NitroAV card for that so I think I'll go that way.

In addition, the AJA requires "4 ATA/IDE or 4 SCSI Hard Drives configured as RAID" but that was written back when they required a PowerBook (I think circa 2004)

Will Something like the G-Tech G-raid 2 fit the bill or do I really need 4 drives? Or was that the case back when SCSI was the standard.

Does anyone recommend a better solution?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm an AVID PC guy switching over from the Dark Side!

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just for clarification I'm assuming you are talking about the AJA io HD and not one of AJA's other io products that's designed to be used w/desktop machines.

The G-RAID2 should be fine for working w/ProRes (which is what the AJA io HD usese).

Lethal

5. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I picked up the SD IO to begin with - I have some Beta SP work to do in the next few months and am on a tight budget (considering I bought a deck and will be buying a MBP and FCP in the next month). Right now all my current work is in SD Network news.

Next year I hope to move to HD, and if budget allows, MP.

Baby Steps!

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The G-RAID2 is advertised to be able to pull 2 uncompressed streams of 8-bit SD so it should work for you unless you'd need more than 2 streams. You should also check out theCaldigit line of drives.

I only have a superficial knowledge of AJA's products, but the
    Creative COW
    is a great resource and has an AJA specific forum that I bet could answer all of your Qs.

Lethal

7. chinarider thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I came across them a few weeks ago - Almost too much info (you have to sift through the HD info) but I've been going through those forums.

Thanks for the help, Lethal.