Using all 128GB on the SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diveganesh, Mar 10, 2011.

1. diveganesh macrumors newbie

I need a new MBP and am tempted to get the 128GB SSD option on the new 17" MBP. I have about 250GB (and growing) of docs/music/photos/videos so I would have to couple it with an aftermarket HDD in lieu of the optical drive.

I'd have the OS and Apps on the SSD and my data on the HDD - this would mean that there would be a good amount of free space on the SSD and I'd like to utilize some of it for my documents folder. The additional apps I have are aperture, msoffice, firefox and maybe a couple more. No games or MS Windows.

My question: Is it possible/advisable to have part of a directory for a particular user on one drive and the rest on the other, for eg creating the user directory on the SSD, storing the photos/music/videos on the HDD and linking them back to the corresponding folders on the SSD for that user? If this is just crazy, is there a sane way to utilize more of that 128GB?

If this split is possible (easily) would putting the browser cache on the SSD speed browsing up noticeably?

Your help much appreciated. Thanks.

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

You have it backwards from how people would normally do it. Not sure exactly what your needs are but normally, OS + Apps and App support files go on the SSD while Docs + Photos, Videos, Music etc go on the slower drive.

3. diveganesh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, but what you've written is pretty much what I said:
    "I'd have the OS and Apps on the SSD and my data on the HDD"

4. laser71 macrumors regular

I don't know, but this is exactly what I plan to do. OSX, applications, and email folder on SSD. Pictures, videos, etc on slower drive.

Also, I wonder if my user Library folder can go on the SSD too? I assume that when booting applications that folder is used, so perhaps it should be on the SSD drive? Otherwise the rest of my user folder will be on the slow drive.

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Very sorry, I read it in reverse.

I don't think moving your cache would speed up browsing, you would be bottlenecked by your internet connection. No harm in trying though.

I think most programs store their cache outside the User directory so it probably will be on the same drives that your OS and Apps are anyway.

OSX also dynamically allocates space to the page file. I believe that the page file size will grow to consume up to 20%(?) so at least the space is being used for something.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I have changed my home directory to my HDD and yeah basically all applications will install to the SSD but I do have a lot of free SSD space which I've filled with SC2 and WoW (total about 45gigs) with those two games. My apps by themselves plus OS is probably just 20GB. I haven't bothered trying to fill up the SSD with stuff though as the docs/music/movies run fine off the HDD. I just want faster loads in games and OS applications.