Using an Airport Express to extend a wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Paintball613, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Paintball613 macrumors member

So today I bought an Aiport Express to expand my non-Airport network, I followed some instructions that I googled, entered them all in on a MacBook Pro, and it worked! All of the computers can connect to the internet, including the farthest away one (with speed increased!). But the only problem is the MacBook Pro I set it up with does NOT connect anymore... I can connect to the wireless network, but it won't connect to the internet, and inside Safari it says that it has no internet connection. Could someone please give me some help to try to get the MacBook Pro to work? It seems as if it isn't connecting to the Airport Express because if I move it to a portion of the house the Express doesn't get to, I can connect to the internet and surf the web. Thank you of advance!

Here are the instructions I followed:
    EDIT: As soon as I unplug the Airport Express the MacBook Pro has internet, but when I plug it back in the internet doesn't work.

2. Paintball613 thread starter macrumors member

If someone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated :)

3. MichaelRW macrumors newbie

Airport Express Configuration to Extend non-Apple Based Wireless Router

Afternoon,

I can related to issues you've encountered with attempting this configuration. I've found it very frustrating also.

Occasional posts I find typically imply they have succeeded in extending their existing home wireless network using an Airport Express and a non-Apple wireless router. As you read through these postings it becomes clear very quickly that they are successful, but not in the way they thought. One individual did extend his wireless network, but he ran an ethernet cable and did not use the wireless distribution system (WDS) which he originally suggested.

Given the popularity of the Airport Express (stream iTunes music to home stereo; USB-based Bonjour print server; wireless router functionality) and the numerous wireless devices manufactured by uncountable companies, I understand why getting this configuration to work is difficult. Apple certainly has not posted anything in their forums offering clean, concise instructions.

There is so much noise on the Internet it makes finding good, reliable information difficult and it also snuffs-out any long-term general knowledge retention. Here is my bit of noise.

I'd be interested to know the sources you used to compile your final set of configuration instructions.

Thanks,

Michael.