using an American iPhone in Japan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nastebu, Feb 21, 2009.

1. nastebu macrumors 6502

I'm going to be in Japan for a year starting this summer, and I'm wondering whether I can use my American iPhone there. I'm sure I would have to unlock it, but other than that, is it just slipping in a Japanese sim card?

Any help would be very very appreciated.

2. Tres macrumors regular

Is it an iPhone 3g? Only the iPhone 3g will work in Japan.

Once you get it unlocked, take it along to a Softbank store, Softbank are the only cellphone network dealing with the iPhone in Japan, I'm not sure what compatibility would be like on the other networks over there.

3. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

I would've thought that the 2G iPhone would work in Japan as well if it was unlocked, since both phones are quad-band. Is there a reason only the 3G will work?

4. evilboy macrumors member

only 3G would work since there is no GSM (only 3G) in Japan. You just need to get iPhone-plan from Softbank and pop new simcard. (of course iPhone must be unlocked)

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I wouldn't really recommend an iphone in japan ... the pricing plans are ridiculously expensive

you are better off getting a standard phone in japan. its much cheaper and almost all the phones they have can receive streaming television, and you can use your phone for several others things that the iphone cannot do ( such as pay for rail passes, etc)

have fun in japan .

If you are in shinjuku there is a soba/udon shop that has 400 yen Udon that is freaking fantastic

It's on the same street as the washington hotel :)

6. nastebu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to all

Thanks very much to all for the replies. I'm going to be in Sendai, but udon noodle suggestions in Shinjuku are most appreciated. Actually, any advice at this stage is welcome.

Is the iPhone data plan a lot more expensive than other phones? I'm hoping to keep the iPhone because I like it, because it's already synced with my Mac etc. and because it's familiar. I'm more worried about learning a new phone (in Japanese no less) and mucking around with new software than paying a bit more. But if it's a lot more that might change things.