Using An American Mac Mini in the UK

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ConnorTurnbull, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

Hi,
    In the UK, a Mac Mini costs $300 more than it does in the US. What I'm thinking of is next time someone I know goes to the US, ask them to pick me up a MacMini.
    However, will I be able to use that Mac Mini in the UK? Does Apple sell replacement power leads so I could buy a US mini and then a UK lead?
    Thanks,
    Connor

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

are u talking about the new minis with the built in power supply? What is the voltage on the wall outlets in the UK?

3. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

MacMini (in fact, all macs) have universal power supplies 110-240v. Just need to put an adaptor on existing chord or a new power chord.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's just a standard figure of eight power lead, you'll pick one up from Maplin if you haven't got one spare at home.

5. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a Mac Mini Server next time I'm in the states.

Is there any concern to be addressed that means it would not be allowed from apple's point of view. i.e software updates stating a US licence trying to update from a UK isp?????????

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can even ship it to Apple UK for repair. And the software is always the same, the only thing inside the Mini which differs are the frequencies of the AirPort, but they can be set to Europe in System Preferences.

Those Figure-of-Eight cords are £0.99 on eBay.

7. ADent macrumors 6502a

The older minis US power supplies are labeled 110V to 120V, even though it is supposedly the same supply as shipped overseas (and labeled 110V-230V).

The new Mac mini is spec'd 100V to 240V per the Apple store.

BTW the Mac Pro is not 110-240V, it is "100-120V AC or 200-240V AC"