Using an App with out an iTouch/iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Hugh, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I don't know if this is the correct area I would make such a post. Since the question deals with working with Apps without an iPhone/iTouch.

Is it possiable? There are a few Apps I saw that I would like to see how they work. I'm getting an iTouch in september when the 3rd gen come out.

The Apps are pretty basic, and free. Although I wish I could play DOOM for the iTouch/iPhone. :cool:

Hugh

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Anyway, I'm fairly sure you can't run apps on your computer that you've downloaded from the app store- you can only use the emulator in the sdk to run your own.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If the app is yours and you have a dev account you can test it on the Emulator included in the SDK I believe. But I don't think it lets your try other people's apps.

4. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

emulator

I had a feeling the sdk could be used as an emulator.

But you told me the info I need, that if I could use the SDK. Which you say I can not.. :(

Hugh

5. beeh macrumors regular

Can't you go to the Apple store and try them on a Touch there? Or Best Buy? Maybe ask one of the people that work there to let you install to try it out, especially since it is free?

6. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Sorry am I missing something here?

You want some way to try a free app before you 'buy' the app... but you don't yet even own the hardware to support it?

If you are buying an ipod touch, then I fail to see what will be achieved in advance of the purchase.

If the purchase hinges on liking a piece of freeware or not... that's just... wrong.