Using an AppleCare "incident replacement" with my iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoupyFlow, Jan 13, 2014.

1. SoupyFlow macrumors member

So I have had my iPhone 5 since it launched in late 2012 and I purchased AppleCare with it and part of that includes two "incident replacements" in case I break my screen or whatever. Pretty much I can pay $50 bucks and get a whole new phone if I break my screen etc.

Well after having my iPhone 5 now for over a year it has gotten roughed up a bit. Mainly because of an OtterBox case I had on it that scratched parts of the screen and the volume buttons feel extremely loose.

I would love to pay $50 bucks and get a whole new iPhone 5 that I will use until the iPhone 6 comes out.

But my question is will Apple let me just replace my roughed up iPhone 5 for a new one using my $50 dollar incident replacement stuff? Or does my screen actually have to be busted?

2. blarivee macrumors 6502

You can use one of your incident lifeline if you like. Although if they do give you a hard time, you can always smash the screen :p Or you can make up some story about your battery being defective.

3. SoupyFlow thread starter macrumors member

So you think they won't care if I just pop in and say I want to replace it with no major damage?

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

try it first without cracking the screen and if that doesn't work then resort to cracking it if you so choose.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

They will not replace it for cosmetic damage. However if you drop it on the way to the store.......

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and this is why the price of AppleCare and the incident replacements keep going up and why Apple is getting stingier with handing out replacements for those in need.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Take it in to Apple and complain about the loose volume button and go from there. You never know what might happen. Do not damage the phone on purpose.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Your best bet is to submerge it in water. Apple stores now have the ability to replace screens and that will use one of your incidents for $50. If it has water damage on the other hand, they have to replace the entire unit for the $50.

An Apple Genius told me that if I happened to crack my screen, make sure it takes a 'bath' before coming in in order to get a replacement unit.

9. JayLenochiniMac, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's people like you who caused Apple to raise the Applecare+ deductible to $79 and OOW replacement price to $269.

I've heard of shady Geniuses suggesting the same thing, but remember they don't care if you pay more to replace it. The maxim "Be careful what you ask for" is absolutely true here.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why would you waste an incident and 50 bucks because your phone has a couple scuffs on it but is otherwise in good condition?

Save the incidents (and money) for if you ever legitimately break your phone. Otherwise you may come to regret it.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I'm sure with their billions of dollars accepting broken phones and replacing the screens of broken ones they still manage to make a profit.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's quite beside the point. People who deliberately damage their iPhones whenever they feel like a replacement (and think nothing of it) make it more expensive for all of us.

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If they don't let you do it with out a broken screen walk outside and do some drop test :D

14. blarivee, Jan 13, 2014

blarivee macrumors 6502

Just bring your phone in to Apple. Be really polite and most of the time they will allow you to exchange it since you're paying the $50.

15. blarivee macrumors 6502

In insurance, the less risky is always subsidizing the high risk. It's no different than people with healthy lifestyle paying for people who binge smoke and drink.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Again, quite beside the point. It's more accurate to say that people who file frivolous insurance claims to get big $$$ increase insurance premiums for all of us.

You are committing fraud and you know it.

17. blarivee macrumors 6502

If you want to blame someone for the cost increase blame the Genius. They are the ones allowing the replacement. Heck a Genius even told a customer to break their own phone (above quote).

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wrong. They're not able to discriminate deliberately damaged iPhones vs. accidentally damaged iPhones and you'd be pretty naive to think people actually say "I've deliberately damaged my iPhone so I can get a replacement so here it is."

Yes, there are shady Geniuses who would suggest such a thing, but they do not represent the vast majority of them so your argument is invalid. Ultimately, it's the customer who makes the choice to commit fraud.

19. blarivee, Jan 13, 2014

blarivee macrumors 6502

I'm referring to Geniuses that allow AC+ replacement because of cosmetic damage, loose buttons, dinged case and non critical damage. Everyone knows there's no way for a Genius to know if the water damage is accidental or deliberate. Ultimately it is for Apple to decide what is frivolous or not.

By the way I'm not advocating deliberate damage (my first response to op was just kidding, hence the :p).

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Everybody knows they do not just replace for cosmetic damage, etc. and the number of them who allow that is pretty low considering how uncommon that is, not enough to impact Apple's bottom line to warrant the increase of AC+ deductible to $79 and OOW replacement price to $269.

21. Caesars macrumors regular

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

AC+ does not entitle you a replacement whenever you feel like it. If that were the policy, they'd significantly raise the deductible.

23. tvotony macrumors regular

24. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't even be whole new; most likely refurbished, meaning somebody elses' returned/broken phone that they fixed.

25. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I actually called apple last year and asked if I could use an AppleCare+ "incident" to replace my iPhone 5 that was all scratched and dinged up. The rep told me it was fine if I wanted to spend the $50. He even said they would do an express shipment and send me the new one first so I could check it out before sending back my old one. I don't think apple cares why you want to replace it as long as you pay.