Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rozzann4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I have been trying to use my Sharp Aquos 32" display as my computer screen (not an extension) through an AVC system by connecting a mini displayport to hdmi cable to my 13" Macbook pro mid-2010 then to an HDMI input on the AVC box and then to the display. However when I go into system preferences and change my display resolution to 1080i ,which is the resolution of the TV screen, my desktop will pop up but it looks as if the screen is bouncing up and down between pixels. Although the highest resolution I have been able to get it to is 720i by changing the number of recent items to 10 in the display drop down menu and choosing 720i.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I have been trying to use my Sharp Aquos 32" display as my computer screen (not an extension) through an AVC system by connecting a mini displayport to hdmi cable to my 13" Macbook pro mid-2010 then to an HDMI input on the AVC box and then to the display. However when I go into system preferences and change my display resolution to 1080i ,which is the resolution of the TV screen, my desktop will pop up but it looks as if the screen is bouncing up and down between pixels. Although the highest resolution I have been able to get it to is 720i by changing the number of recent items to 10 in the display drop down menu and choosing 720i.

Try 720p or 1080p if possible.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
720p is working however I can't find 1080p?

Your TV may not support it.

Here is why it is working:
The resolution has two parts to it, the number and the letter.
The number is the amount of pixels per horizontal line. The letter is either "i" or "p". I stands for interlaced, p is progressive.
When displaying in interlaced mode alternating rows of pixels light up per frame i.e. on odd numbered frames the odd numbered rows light up while the even numbered rows are not lit. On even numbered frames the opposite occurs. Only half the pixels are in use at any given time. This causes the jumping.
Progressive is different. It lights up every row pixels progressively per frame starting with the first row. As a rule for the same number (ex 720) the 'p' variant will always b smother than the 'i' variant.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.