Using an Education Discount at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nosey313, Jan 17, 2008.

1. nosey313 macrumors member

Will I need anything other than my school ID to use this discount? I can't wait to get my new iMac!

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

yeah if your going in store all you need is ID to prove your a student at the school or college or what ever :p

3. nosey313 thread starter macrumors member

4. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

Are you serious!? Can someone else independently verify that? Does Apple make a copy of the ID, or at least write down what school you're with? Do they verify later that you are a student at the college on the ID?

5. barijazz macrumors 6502

Lets say I own a small business, and let's also say that I have been wanting to get macs for my small business. Could I get a student ID at some cheap ass community college and save some money when buying in mass?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There is a limit on how many machines you can buy with an edu discount. I think its is one of each type per academic year.

See screenshot

Attached Files:

7. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's true. I purchased my MacBook Pro in store and they asked for my ID and looked up my school on a portable PDA/bar code scanner thing. For some reason the girl couldn't find it listed (it's on Apple's website) but she was a student too and just entered her school. All you need is a valid student ID.

8. barijazz macrumors 6502

awwwww lol

9. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Depends, I guess. I didn't have to show my student ID, and still got an edu discount. :D

--Erwin

10. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I used to work in an Apple store in the UK.

All you need is proof from the school/college/uni that you study at. In the the UK all we take is the post code (zip code) of the school/college/uni and whatever number is shown on the ID. It will search to see if the institute is listed and if it is then bingo, nice discount for you :)

They might check with the institute at a later date that you do study there but that rarely happens

11. tip macrumors 6502

tip

On that note, I didn't have to show my work ID and I still got a gov discount.

12. gershwin27 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Interesting... at the Apple Store I go to, my work ID doesn't cut it. They want to see a pay stub from the school district. I suppose it just depends on the associate that you speak with, or maybe my ID isn't official looking enough. :confused:

Thanks,

James

13. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Why don't you just call the specific store you are going to prior to going and ask what they want/need for proof...

14. tatster macrumors newbie

Hi,

Does anyone know if this applies to getting the HE discount or just the regular Edu discount?

I'm holding on for a new Macbook Pro, but just trying to work out whether it will be quickest to go my nearest store (Bluewater, UK) or order online at College.

Thanks,
    Tatster.

15. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

I am shopping for a MBP for myself to bring to school next year, so naturally I researched the student discount.

-At the store, I brought a copy of my acceptance letter (I am still a high school senior) and they were okay with that, ready for me to check out.
    -Using the online store, they ask for an email address, which I won't be getting until May or June, but I could always use my brother's email since I know he won't buy a new apple (or any apple for that matter) every school year.
    -Because I don't have an email address, I called up apple on the phone. All they wanted was for me to tell them I was accepted to my school (Penn State) and they would give me the discount.

In summary, any of the three buying option are very easy to use the discount with. Apple works on the honor system (kinda like with the software licenses) so you should be all set, especially if you already have a student ID.

16. stantwon macrumors newbie

does anyone know what the student prices are for most products? i am going to get a macbook through penn state and would like to know what it would cost. also, what is the cost of the ipod touch 30GB after discount? thanks

17. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Each price is differant but the final checkout price seems to work out to around 10% off. Are you currently at Penn State or heading there next year like me. If you are there already, type in your eLion info and you should be brought to the Apple/PSU Edu store which will give the prices. If not, just go to the basic Edu store, and they have the same prices listed. The only difference is that the PSU version gives suggested models with better discounts, but those are all on previous generation computers which makes me think they are refurbs.

I used my brothers email to look for a difference in prices, but I do not have his password so I cannot provide more detail.

18. stantwon macrumors newbie

I have been accepted and am going there next year. i just wanted to have an idea of what i would be spending on my stuff from apple. thanks.