Using an express card solid state disk for bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frem001, Apr 16, 2008.

1. frem001 macrumors newbie

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I don't think you'll have much luck booting from an express34 ssd, the write speeds are pretty low.. this is a lexar review but the principle remains the same: http://www.notebooks.com/2007/05/02/review-lexar-expresscard-ssd/

If you're running out of space and still want to bootcamp i'd consider replacing the internal HDD instead. Either that, or archiving a load of data from your internal to an external.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Don't be fooled, the speed varies according to the card and manufacture, some use the cheaper cards uses the USB2 side of the ExpressCard slot as it's interface, others take advantage of the SATA3 capabilities ExpressCard offers - though I think they're reserved for the huge 64Gb/128Gb cards which are appearing on the market.

4. frem001 thread starter macrumors newbie

would it still work though? i've tried researching and ive heard conflicting reports about booting windows from external drives.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was SO tempted to buy one of these the other day. it was 200% off!!! $85 for 32gb (australian, so prob 35pound).

read up about the write speeds and they only get 10-15mb. which is nothing compared to HDD's (40-80mbps). and im pretty sure that the seek time difference wont amount to that low write/read time!

6. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

200% off? That's pretty good. So the item is free and they pay you the usual price of the item for taking it from them? Sweet deal!

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well no lol..

it was ~$320 AUD, came down to $85AUD.

so yea.. pretty good deal, i was gonna run my leopard OS on it, but after reading reviews i pulled out. not worth it just yet

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i never thought of this.

i dont think you can install bootcamp/xp/vista on an external though. I would think E34 would be seen as external, and not work.

can you even boot from a E34?

how bout something like this?

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think your right! i remember reading that somewhere, dont remember exactly though. so maybe the E34 thing mightnt work. lame.

ahwell i still wanna put my primary OS on it.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Don't get those ExpressCard SSDs. They are designed for mass storage, not as a replacement for HDDs. Also you won't be able to boot off of one because there are no drivers for it.

11. frem001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you for the help everyone. Replacing the optical drive sounds like an interesting idea since I don't really use it. I don't think you can get that done in the UK though.

12. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

its not hard to do. why not do it yourself?