Using an external cd/dvd drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by blkrazr-x1, Nov 15, 2011.

1. blkrazr-x1 macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Ok guys, sorry I posted this in the MBP subforum but maybe I can get some help here...

Anyways, my year old MBP's cd/dvd drive is starting to...burn out on me. I have already cleaned it with a lens cleaner and blew canned air into it.

Currently, I do not have time to drive over 2-3 hours away to an apple store, so I am looking for an external cd/dvd drive for ripping and burning AUDIO cds. I do not watch dvds that often, so the drive would be primarily for audio

I have looked on OWC's website and although the ones I see there are in my price range, I wanted to get some people's feedback here. LG, Samsung, Sony really does not matter as long as it works.

Also, I am not looking for portable. I would primarily keep this at home so I am more interested in performance and speed :D

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

3. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into it ;)

4. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

First, don't get hung up on believing that pro Apple vendors like OWC are superior to any others. Sure there is always the exception, but this is not one of them.

Go to www.newegg.com for a great place with a huge selection & great prices. There you can browse & choose what appeals to you. I bought a very thin, light, and compact Samsung CD / DVD multipurpose player & burner which was not only inexpensive but of very high quality. It's perfect for my various laptops without built in optical drives like my 11" & 13" MBA's.

It works perfectly on Windows laptops also. Just one USB cable connects & powers it, so there's a minimum to carry if I wish to take it with me. Other name brands like Panasonic & Sony are just as good. When it comes to external optical drives it's hard to go wrong.

Cheers :)

6. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1

Yea, I never even heard of OWC until a few days ago. I am familiar with newegg.com though. I have been looking the drives over on their site. Maybe I should find a few and then post them here to see what you guys think ;)

7. blkrazr-x1 thread starter macrumors member

blkrazr-x1