Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
I just bought a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and starting messing around with using my 20 inch Vizio TV as an external display for my 2008 MacBook, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm trying to find the best resolution selection for my TV. The exact resolution for it is 1366 x 768. In the display preferences, it has something close to that, but not exact. So when I try and full screen a YouTube video or Netflix video the controls usually end up off the bottom of the screen. Any tips for a way to deal with that?

2. Is there any company that makes some sort of HDMI splitter to connect more than one HDMI cable into a port? I had to disconnect the cable box from my TV in order to connect my laptop through HDMI. I'd like to not to have to do that repeatedly whenever I want to connect my laptop.

3. My TV obviously has a speaker on it, but I can't get my laptop to use it. Anyone know how to make that work?

4. Any general tips? If you do this do you like it? Are there any apps you suggest for it?

Thanks a lot much appreciated.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I just bought a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and starting messing around with using my 20 inch Vizio TV as an external display for my 2008 MacBook, and I have a few questions.

1. I'm trying to find the best resolution selection for my TV. The exact resolution for it is 1366 x 768. In the display preferences, it has something close to that, but not exact. So when I try and full screen a YouTube video or Netflix video the controls usually end up off the bottom of the screen. Any tips for a way to deal with that?

2. Is there any company that makes some sort of HDMI splitter to connect more than one HDMI cable into a port? I had to disconnect the cable box from my TV in order to connect my laptop through HDMI. I'd like to not to have to do that repeatedly whenever I want to connect my laptop.

3. My TV obviously has a speaker on it, but I can't get my laptop to use it. Anyone know how to make that work?

4. Any general tips? If you do this do you like it? Are there any apps you suggest for it?

Thanks a lot much appreciated.

1. If it is an option, set the resolution not to a (pixel x pixel) setting but to 720i 720p etc to match the max resolution of your tv. I've found that this gives the best output to fit everything in on the screen. For my 42inch TV I hook my macbook up to, I set it in 720p and it works well.

2. This might be what you are looking for

3. The adapter you bought only connects the video to the HDMI port in your TV, to use an HDMI input with audio/video you will need to have an adapter to connect to both on your computer, which you don't have. What I have to do this is a an adapter that connects to both mini-display port/audio port/and usb for power. I'm not sure if there is one with mini-DVI.

4. The only time I use this is to watch movies on a larger screen, but I have also used it to play emulated N64 games. It's cool to have a bigger screen, but I don't find much use for it just because I don't need a lot of screen space. I'm sure if you were planning on doing anything more design oriented, it would be much more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.