Using an external hd for bootcamp.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FenixStryker, Aug 21, 2014.

1. FenixStryker macrumors newbie

Alrighty so my old Samsung 500gb laptop pretty much is unusable to me so I had everything put on a external hd. I mean EVERYTHING. It's pretty much an identical copy of my original hd. The issue is how do I get that to work with bootcamp. I've never done this before so the last thing I need is to mess everything up and lose all my stuff. My head hurts thinking about all this honestly. Any help would be appreciated.

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

What do you want to get to work with Bootcamp ? The data should be fine. If you want to boot Windows from the 'old' drive - forget it.

3. FenixStryker thread starter macrumors newbie

>.<; It looks like this is a lost cause then..

I wanted to use bootcamp with my external hd but I guess that's not happening. They really don't make this stuff easy. Even if I bought another copy of Windows 7 it probably wouldn't work.

This sucks.

4. macenied, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

On a different machine ( hardware ) all underlying layers, e.g. the hardware and the drivers are different and Windows is not supposed to cope with that issue. New installation of Windows and the programs is required. After that you can use your data from the old disk, though. Ask me why I know ...

However, you can use your existing Windows 7 license for the new install. Nothing to buy.