Using an External HD with Airport Extreme/Leopard for Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HomerJSimpson1, Jan 24, 2008.

1. HomerJSimpson1 macrumors newbie

I currently have Leopard installed on my iMac and use Airport Extreme to run a wireless network inside my residence. Does anyone know if an external HD (ie: WD My Book) plugged directly into the USB port on the Airport Extreme will allow the Time Machine function to work properly? I read some conflicting reports saying this may not happen.

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

As is no. with a little love (hacks/workarounds) Yes. Search the forums to get details on how to make this work. To fix it for good apple needs to launch software/firmware updates to OSX and AEBS. That is what everyone is saying.

3. HomerJSimpson1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have talked to other users who have had success using the above config with no hacks or workarounds. Is this possible?

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

The only thing I can think of is verify the firmware versions, OSX build and External HD model. Maybe there is a unique combination of items that allow it to work.

From my understanding some of the members that know how to look at the detail on how things are working say that TM is ignoring drives setup on AEBS and telling TM to not ignore those drives (this is one route to workaround). If you can get it to work it sounds like there are stability/reliability issues.

I was not able to get it to work. See sig, ordering Time Capsule. New toy anyways whether I really need it or not is a different story.