Using an External Monitor with Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patmort02, Aug 11, 2008.

1. patmort02 macrumors member

I am looking into using an external with my macbook. I am just very unsure as to how the whole process works. I know you connect it via the adapter that you have to buy separately, I'm just unsure as to what you do after that.

Do you close the computer and use an external keyboad/mouse as well? Or do you keep the computer open and use the keyboard/trackpad? I'm assuming its the former, but I'm not quite sure how that works.

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

You can set it up either way you want. When you plug the external display in your can go to system preferences and adjust the displays and then close your macbook and use all external peripherals if you like or you can just use the macbook's keyboard and trackpad. both will work.

3. patmort02 thread starter macrumors member

As a followup...does it matter what kind/size monitor I use?

4. tdgrn macrumors 6502

No it does not matter per say what kind you use, as long as you get the correct adapter (VGA or DVI) and hook it up to your monitor you will be in business. Your MacBook has a resolution of 1200*800 ? so you would want something at least 19" which has a resolution of 1400*900 in most cases. I believe that the MacBook will handle resolution up to 1900*1200 which is actually higher resolution than a 1080p TV, so as long as you don't hook up a 30 ACD you should be alright.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mine runs with it shut every day. I just plug everything in, keyboard, Mini DVI converter, ethernet and power. Open the lid, press power button and shut it again. It detects the lid is down and outputs to the external display and boots up normally.

6. Future-Zero macrumors newbie

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Ok here is what i am talking about, my macbook sits on my windows rig, closed and the cables just hang out as per the picture

The cables are

1. Magsafe
    2. Mini DVI
    3. Mouse

Sorry for the cable management, this was taken a while ago and is alot cleaner

Attached Files:

8. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I have a dual screen setup and basically it all explains itself when you do it the first time. You just open system preferences and click on displays, obviously you first need to connect the screen to the macbook. after that you can choose extend desktop (or something like that) or mirror. If you want to run the screen while the lid is closed you first configure the screen, at the next boot you press the power button and close the lid immediately, the apple shows up on the external screen

Have fun ;)

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

How are you doing your dual display? You have the External monitor and your using your screen on your laptop as the secondary?

10. ShoddyWorker macrumors newbie

Hit the system prefs and then detect displays. You can then arrange them under the "Arrangement" tab. Just drag the monitor/laptop screens around to your desired position. I have my old Dell 24" above my laptop screen to give me a 1920x1200 top for watching 1080p and my 1440x900 below it for doing work at the same time. Works a treat and no problems playing video or any application for that matter, even when overlapping.

11. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Yeah, I'm using it for 2 months now and I don't want to go back to one screen :)

check it out:

[​IMG]