Using an external monitor with MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kenzembo1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I know this is a basic question, but for some reason i just can't seem to figure out how to use my 24" Apple cinema display with my 13" MBP as a second screen. I obviously want to use the 24" display as my main screen (when connected to my 13" macbook) but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to use my MBP as a secondary iTunes, etc. screen. I typically use my macbook in "clamshell" mode with my 24" display and when I open the lid of the macbook, it's just black as if the computer was asleep but it fails to wake up when I press any buttons on the keyboard :confused:. When I unplug the mini display cable, the external monitor goes black and I'm reverted to using just my macbook. I know this can be done. Does anyone have any experience with the 24" Apple cinema display and MBP? Any help/advice/answer would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

2. jlindley macrumors newbie

Have you tried booting the MBP with the display open and connected to the 24'' display? I do this very thing everyday and that's how I do it with zero problems.

Occasionally, however, I have booted it with the MBP display closed and have had problems getting the MBP display to recover..

3. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...I don't think I've ever tried that method. I'm using both screens now, but I'm using the 24" display as a second monitor and the macbook as my primary monitor (as it is the screen with all of my applications, etc.). I would love to be able to navigate and use all of my desktop applications right from my external 24" cinema display and open my macbook and use that as a much smaller 13" screen to contain my iTunes library, etc.

I'm using both screens now, because I went under displays in system preferences and chose "detect displays" with my macbook connected and with the lid opened and I'm able to use both screens, however, the much smaller 13" macbook is still my main screen because it has all my applications, etc. It stinks when I have to open, click and drag, reformat everything to my 24" external when I want to do basic things like browse Safari or watch a movie. It would be much more convenient to have the display as my primary monitor and the 13" MBP as just a small secondary screen for whatever else.

I'm now starting to wonder if this is even possible :confused:

4. jlindley macrumors newbie

System Preferences --> Display --> Arrangement

Then drag the little white strip that is on your represented 13'' screen to the 24'' screen... that will make the 24'' your main display. Then you will be dragging all your programs to the 13'' display when you want them there.

5. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow! Thank you so much!!! This is a big improvement...learn something new everyday!

Now what would happen if I close the lid on my macbook? Would it automatically enter into "clamshell mode"...also, what happens once you re-open the macbook? Does it automatically restore to the setting where it is now, or do I have to go through this process again? Thanks :)

6. jlindley macrumors newbie

I don't know the 'official' answer, but in my experience once you have it set it will remember your preferences...

A. Lid closed, attached to 24'' - 24'' is main screen
    B. Lid open, attached to 24'' - 24'' is main screen
    C. Lid open, NOT attached to 24'' - 13'' is main screen

I know previously if you closed the lid while the MBP is running and connected to an external monitor it would 'sleep', but lately I haven't had that happen! I don't know if some recent update changed that or not... I can't say for certain how yours will behave since I don't know your update habits. In the past the only way I could use it in 'clamshell' mode was to connect it to the ext monitor, hit the power button, and immediately close the lid. (Having the lid closed can cause it to run much hotter)

7. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much, you've been a great help! One last question: Is it possible to change wallpapers and have different wallpapers between the macbook and external display...and if so, how can this be done? When I unplug the mini display cable and set a different wallpaper for my macbook and then re-plug the cable, it automatically changes the wallpaper on the external display as well. It's obviously not a huge deal, but I think it would be neat to have two different wallpapers for both screens and I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before somewhere in the forums.

8. jlindley macrumors newbie

System Preferences --> Desktop & Screensaver

It will bring up the pane on both screens, you'll get the hint.

9. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh great, thank you so much!!! You've been a great help sir! :)