Using an external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vance09, Dec 3, 2016.

1. vance09 macrumors regular

I searched to see if there were any tips on an external monitor, went back a bit but nothing as far as solutions.Also spoke to tech support.
    When I connect to a 24 in monitor it looks good, cannot close the lid on the MacBook Pro as all goes dark and its difficult to get the dock to shown up on the large display and when it does its hard to go back to the MacBook Pro screen.Also some programs like Kodi will not run on the large display, only on the MacBook Pro.There must be a spot to select the primary and secondary display.
    Thanks

2. kb3tzt macrumors member

kb3tzt

could you please put up what model MacBook you are using and what version of Mac OS. I have a 2016 13inch and it displays on both screen without issue. to set display options, click on the little monitor on the top right that looks like a monitor. all the options are under there.

3. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the 2015 MPR Retina display , new this past month but not the 2016
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    I see that now and I have things working better , I selected mirror display and now both screens are active

4. kb3tzt macrumors member

kb3tzt

you can also select use as separate displays. allows u to set separate resolutions and backgrounds as well. thats how I have mine setup, as I run in clamshell mode 99% of the time.

5. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

6. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up returning the MacBook pro 2015 and getting the 2016, may as well get the latest, will not be doing this again for awhile