Using an FM transmitter with iPod Nano 6th gen..?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tasslehawf, Mar 14, 2011.

1. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I have been wondering for the longest time if it would be possible to use a 6th gen iPod Nano to pick up the signal from an FM transmitter.

My reason is when I go to the gym (and I don't want to listen to music or my audible books), I could plug an FM transmitter into the headphone jacks on the machines and be cordless between the transmitter and the Nano.

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The 6th gen nano (and the 5th gen before it) had built-in FM radios. Just plug the headphones directly into the Nano, and tune the Nano to a station-- either the one broadcasting a nearby TV's audio (some larger gyms do this for its members, just ask a trainer for the desired frequency) or your own fave station.

...Or am I not understanding your question correctly?

3. tasslehawf thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Great to hear the 5th gen is good as well. Too bad I have the 4th gen.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Glad I could help. I have two 5th gen nanos (one blue, one silver), and I heartily recommend a refurb 5th gen over the 6th gen. Sure, the 6th gen is smaller and clips on without a case, but it's rather difficult to control without looking at the screen, and even though it has a touchscreen it can't play back video (?!?).