Using an iMac 27" in a confined space

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Objector, May 18, 2011.

1. Objector macrumors member

Hello everyone,

Next month I'll probably buy an iMac 27" BTO, but I have a little concern...

I have a large white desk, with on top an extra piece of furniture with some little shelves and a space for your computer screen. The iMac would fit perfectly within this space, but I am fearing that it would be a too tight fit...

The iMac would only have one cm (0,40 inch) on the left, right and top side. Is this too little to allow good cooling? I am a casual gamer, but on lazy sundays it happens that I play for three or more hours straight and I don't want to fry my mac.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think it would probably be fine. There would still be space on the bottom for heat to escape, so it wouldn't all be trapped there. It may run a little on the warmer side, but as long as it's not fully enclosed, I don't think it will be an issue.

3. Objector thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response! When I notice the iMac runs abnormally hot, I can always install some fans at the top of the space, so the air is blown to the bottom, where it can escape.

I think it'll look beautiful to have to iMac surrounded by the black desk. And I'm glad it'll fit and I don't have to change my desk. :p

4. jborko macrumors member

Heat escapes at the top, hot air is lighter then the cold air, so you need to make sure there is at least some space at the top. But I think you'll do fine...

5. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Maybe keep the desk an inch or so away from the wall - the iMac vents out of the back at the top, and a little gap would allow that air to escape without issue.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry at all. My iMac rarely runs really hot.

6. gcthompson macrumors newbie