All iPads Using an iPad to backup pictures?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wolfpackfan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am still trying to decide which iPad Air to get tomorrow morning. Not withstanding the choice of color (which I still haven't decided), I am trying to decide between 32GB or 64GB. Typically 32GB would be way more than enough for my needs (right now my 16GB mini is only half full), but one use that I am considering is using my iPad as a backup to store ALL my pictures (which amount to about 32GB right now). Right now I am using various thumb drives to backup the pictures stored on my Mac. Has anyone else used your iPad to serve as a backup for pictures? If so, what program do you use? If I just copy them over into Photos via iTunes, is the full resolution photo copied over? If my Mac were to crash and I lost all my pictures is there anyway to restore them from my iPad from Photos? Is there any other IOS app that would be better suited for backing up all my pictures? I know lots of questions and I need to make a quick decision before tomorrow morning. Thanks for any help.

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

For picture backup I think you'd be much better served by buying an external hard drive. You could get a 500GB drive quite cheap, and I think your pictures would be MUCH safer.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Pictures that are synced to your iPad are compressed and lower resolution than the original, and no, there isn't an easy way to get them back to a computer.

As the other poster said, for backup, get a cheap external hard drive.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Do not use the iPad for your back up.

Get yourself a couple of Ext drive's use time machine on one of them to do incremental back up and use the second ext drive clone your entire drive on a regular basis (once a week or month) and keep it off site or in a fire proof safe. If you want a 3rd backup then use a cloud service.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

As above; use a cloud service or external storage (stored at a different site) to backup your pictures.

Using an ipad to backup your pictures is like buying an extra house instead of renting a storage locker. :)

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I have the vast majority of our pictures on our ipad. It makes for a great phot album. Way better than being stored in boxes in the upstairs closet.

With that said, the original pics are on an external hard drive. Your can get a 1tb for well under $100 these days that runs off USB ports.

8. 8pril macrumors member

Thanks for this recommendation!

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Like the others said, do not use your iPad to store your images.

Go to www.dropbox.com

It is cheap and works perfectly no matter what platform you are on.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The reason why I still keep photos on my iPad is that I don't want to chew through my data plan looking at photos. I use Everpix as a backup.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Keeping and looking at your photo on your iPad is great but it is NOT good as your primary storage and your iPad will make a mess of a 5mp image files with it compression. Services like DropBox do not do that and store the original file.

iPad are great for viewing but crap for use as a storage device. :eek:

12. danbretl macrumors newbie

Everpix, Picturelife

I am an iOS developer at Picturelife (and MacRumors junkie). Just wanted to say hello, and offer Picturelife as another great cloud photo backup and organization tool - especially since Everpix recently went under. (If you were a former Everpix user, you can easily transfer your entire archive to us - more info on our blog.) Let me know if you have any feedback / concerns / questions / etc!

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

15. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Photos has been my biggest hang-up to going iOS-only. I found an app called PhotoSync, which lets you transfer full-resolution images from your computer to the iOS Camera Roll. This is nice because iOS only shows the Camera Roll to computers - if you sync photos via iTunes, you have no way to transfer them BACK to a computer.

It's not perfect - screenshots and videos transferred with the incorrect time, so they're out of order, but the rest of my 2300+ photos transferred fine, with proper geotags and all. And while the app did crash on me a couple times, it was far superior to the other apps available which do the same thing.

If you decide to use your iPad as a backup for your photos, make sure you use a third-party app and get them into your Camera Roll. If you don't want to take the time to do so, just use an external hard drive with your Mac or PC to back up.