Using an iPad when WiFi isn't available..?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JagsFan829, Mar 4, 2012.

1. JagsFan829 macrumors member

JagsFan829

Kind of a random, curious question for you guys. I'm going to be purchasing my first iPad, the 2, when it goes on sale. Just the WiFi version.

I'm anticipating many situations like when I'm at work or at the hospital ( some family issues lately :( ) where WiFi won't be easily found like here at home or at a coffee shop or fast food place.

I can't even imagine using my iPhone without WiFI & 3G, as most of the Apps I use and things I do require internet. Mostly reading the news, using Facebook, Twitter, etc.

So.. when you don't have any internet connection readily available.. what are the types of things you do on your iPad? Other than games, if you don't mind.

I'm trying to prep myself with Apps and whatnot that will keep me occupied in the examples I listed above! And by the way, when I say work, I mean when I'm on break. :D

2. iPutz macrumors member

3. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Its no different than your iphone. Get the 3g version

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I use it to read magazines and books. You can always load a movie on it to have available to watch when you can't stream.

5. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

you know you could tether the iPad with your iPhone and use your iPhones 3G connection on the iPad?

if this is not possible then i would mainly use mine for games, but there is also books, movies and tv shows that you've pre downloaded.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Music, books, games, text processing perhaps (Pages), other useful (productivity) apps.

7. JagsFan829 thread starter macrumors member

JagsFan829

don't you have to pay monthly for the 3G access? I don't know about that..

8. AirForceOne macrumors member

I run a rooted HTC Thunderbolt so I just connect my iPad to my Tbolt using the Tbolt's wifi hotspot and get all the data I want for free(I have a verizon 4G LTE unlimited data plan).

9. Emoo macrumors regular

It's monthly inasmuch as you pay for one month at a time. It's not a contract type, you can get one month and then skip a few, and then get it back again.

10. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

I have iPad 2 wifi only, if there is no wifi I tether from my phone.

11. homeboy macrumors 6502

I have an RSS reader that pulls contents and automatically saves it for offline reading and so does my Twitter app.

This is rather key for me who lives in London where commuting involves travelling underground where there isn't any reception.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My main uses for my iPad are browsing the web (like right now) and email. An iPad without Internet access is pretty much useless for me.

Sure, I can play some games, listen to some music (as long as its not in the iCloud) or read an ebook. That will last for about 10 minutes... :cool:

13. kaielement macrumors 65816

I can't believe no one mentioned watching movies and t.v. shows lol........

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Get Read It Later or Instapaper, or maybe Readability. They all save webpages for offline reading.

I also write / edit documents in Pages when offline.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You can do that without those apps, built in safari feature. Right?:confused:

16. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

i don't think the safari feature saves the web pages for offline viewing, its just to keep track of what you want to read.

17. JagsFan829 thread starter macrumors member

JagsFan829

18. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I think you should seriously consider getting the wi-fi & 3G version.

I did and only purchase 3G when I need it (out of town trips). Had my iPad 18 months now and but had 3G only two of those months.

Mike

19. hayhorse macrumors newbie

Economically this almost sounds like an argument against the 3G version. Each of the two months essentially cost you something like $130/2+$25=$90. Seems steep.

20. JagsFan829 thread starter macrumors member

JagsFan829

I think what you're saying makes sense.. but to be honest, I probably don't travel as much as you do. Basically I use my laptop now for very basic web browsing, reading, news, etc etc. All of which can be replaced by my iPad. Whenever I did travel, I'd just bring my laptop with me and use whatever wifi I could find (Coffee shop, hotel, etc.) I can do the same thing with my new iPad. My iPhone has 3g access for any emergency internet access. That's just me though.