Using an iPhone 1st gen without a case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Apr 15, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

2. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I think the cases are over rated. Treat them more like a fashion accessory that a safety thing. The phone's body could get a little scratched but mine has held up well...

3. Bozley0621 macrumors 6502

My sister has had her first gen iphone since it came out. This past winter, she dropped her phone in the snow and didn't realize it until the next morning. It still worked perfectly fine. Her phone doesn't have a case, looks like it's been to hell and back, and works like new.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

LOL.. that is a long time to not know you are without your iPhone :p

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

I didn't have a case for mine until about 4 months of owning my first generation iPhone. In that time, I accumulated one tiny nick on the side of the Apple logo, barely noticeable unless you went hunting for it.

I got a case for it after I dropped it the first time although no harm was done. I had a hard case that was made out of a tough plastic shell on the inside and had cork on the outside, very aesthetically pleasing.

Case is not needed AS LONG AS you don't throw your phone around. I would suggest getting a screen protector though (I have the glossy on both my original and 3G iPhones) just in case.

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I had a case on my first gen for a long time and it did save me on a few occasions. But i took it off a few months back and i've been much more happier. It's so much nicer without a stupid bulky case, and i know im upgrading in June/July so who cares.

I also have had light leak issues so i'll probably get a swap right before the new iphone and ebay it.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i do it all the time. but that's only because my incase is so ugly and takes away the sleekness (IMO)

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're clutzy, then yes. When I got the iPhone, I accidentally dropped it several times. Once, it dented the area around the power button.
    The case won't protect against you accidentally dropping it from the Empire State building. However, for minor falls, it'll help a lot.

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I've had mine without a case from new, keep it in my pocket. It accumulates minor wear and tear, but to me is still far more pleasing than in a clunky case like some of my friends' ones.

It seems to me putting a case on it is like buying a nice looking car then sticking one of those ugly nose-protector bags on, like you see so much in the USA. Yuk. (But if you have one of those too, you'll probably want a case :p )

10. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

My wife and I have 14 month old first gens with no scratches and we don't use cases...we do however use the Power Support Screen protectors religiously...

Cheers.

-J.-