Using an iPhone 4 MicroSIM in an iPad, and vice versa

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vizkiz, Apr 19, 2010.

1. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

It is widely known that Apple adds a data plan to iPhone users accounts without one (contracted accounts, not go-phone accounts). They can do this because they see the IMEI number of the phone in their system, know it's an iPhone, and add the plan accordingly.

It seems to me that if you put your iPhone microSIM card into an iPad, AT&T will see the IMEI number for the new device, and charge you accordingly. That is, $15 for anything under 250MB, and $30 for anything over that.

Alternatively, they could figure that if you're using it in the iPad, you're not using it in your iPhone, so it's no big deal. This approach would more than likely lead to people with both devices copying their SIMs and using one in each device at the same time, and as so, I don't see AT&T taking this approach.

Thoughts?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is it possible to use 2 sims with the same account info at the same time?

3. Axl Rose macrumors regular

i hope you can use your iphone 4 sim in the ipad, thatd be sweet, but most likely they thought of that...

4. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I would think that as long as one is not accessing the network, then yes. Don't know about if they both access the network at the same time.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes but once a device/cellphone is powered on it constantly acesses and registers to the network with its unique IMEI.

6. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Throw it in airplane mode for a little bit. It's still easier than swapping SIMs.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

new rumor, apple to offer $15 data plan on iPhone 4

9. vizkiz thread starter macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Assuming it's like the iPad at $15 for 250MB, that would be awesome, as I don't think I've ever used more than 200mb in a month. I would hope it's more like 500mb though, so I wouldn't have to worry about checking. I wish unlimited data included SMS/MMS. That, or have a combo, unlimited data/messaging for $40. Unfortunately, that would make sense, so AT&T won't do it.

10. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad uses a new APN for it's data to handle it's new prepaid data plan. If so, then unless the iPad is jailbroken, I bet you can't move your iPhone 4G micro SIM into it to use your already paid for iPhone data plan.