Using an iPhone 5c as an iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jedi5, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Odd question here and I'm hoping you with more smarts than me can help out.

I want to buy an iPod touch for my kids and then upgrade them to a phone later on... Within a year maybe.

But then I though, is it possible (smarter maybe?) to buy a 5c with no number/active line that can be used as a touch? Then when I'm ready, I can't activate a phone line on the 5c.

If this can be done, using the 5c as a touch, what's the best way to go about it?

hope this made sense :)

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It should work, but you would probably need to buy a 5C unlocked (SIM free) which is a bit more expensive than buying one on contract from a carrier. Once you are ready to transition it to a full phone just take it to your carrier and get it set up with a SIM.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, I use an iPhone 3Gs as an iPod touch and it works great. I just put it into airplane mode and then activate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (so I don't get a nag to insert a SIM). I would purchase a new or used one from Swappa or Craigslist for the service you plan on using. When you are ready to activate it as a cell phone some services like AT&T will give you a bill credit when you add a new line.

4. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Yeah you can do that, what I do is buy a bad ESN/MEID/IMEI iphone and use it as an iPod touch.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think the OP still wants to be able to use it as a phone down the line.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Possible but I would not say smarter. The 5c is $550 and the iPod I think $200.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OP you can do this.. BUT and it's a big BUT, you will need a working SIM to bypass activation. so I recommend use a working SIM to do the activation. Once you're done with activation, just remove it and put it back on your phone. Then your 5C will act like a touch because it says No SIM.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I got a used, factory unlocked Verizon iPhone 5C for $350 from Swappa. I'm not sure if I already installed the T-Mobile SIM (often available for free or $0.99) when I set it up. I don't think it was installed when I activated but in case it does require a SIM for activation, TMo's a cheap option (for unlocked devices).

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I like the idea of getting a 5C if income is no problem. Sounds like it's not.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

based on experience, an ATT 5C needs a SIM to bypass activation. no sim, you're stuck with the welcome to Apple screen LOL

11. bigfatipod macrumors member

I'd go with an iPhone 3gs/4/4s off craigslist (just confirm your carrier will support it; I think Verizon start with the 4). Much cheaper and not an issue if something happens to it. In a year or so, if you want to upgrade to include phone service, you can do that with with one of those or with a 5c (or whatever is available at that point).

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

This is how to do it. But the question is is it worth buy it off contract now? You could just get it as a phone but you seem like you dont want to do that. But thats what I would do

13. Jedi5, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

thanks everyone the great suggestions and super quick help!

good news is that i will be able to use an iPhone as a touch until i activate phone.
    not so good news is that i now need to find a phone to buy, LOL.

i'm currently with TMO. If i want to buy a phone, it should be:
    TMO ready
    unlocked
    locked then i just pay to unlock

do those options sound about right?

i have quite a bit of credit on Amazon so I was going to purchase the phones (5c) there which some locked and others unlocked.
    thoughts on those phones?

great tip on maybe looking at a 4s for what i want to do.
    that never crossed my mind. would be cheaper too.

CL had nothing in my area so i'm going to check out ebay and swappa.

thanks again!

forgot to add:
    without a sim card, can the phones still iMessage or FaceTime to other devices?

14. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, as long as the iPhone has a Wi-Fi connection it can iMessage and FaceTime with other IOS devices.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Don't get Sprint. Unlocking is near impossible and from reports, even when you do get it unlocked, it only works for international carriers and not with AT&T or T-Mobile in the US. It doesn't support other US carriers' LTE bands, either. Get the Verizon iPhone 5c. Those are all factory unlocked and can work with Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

16. iPH0NE 3GS macrumors newbie