Using an iPhone 5s without sim card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by digitallegend, Jul 6, 2015.

1. digitallegend macrumors member

digitallegend

since apple hasn't updated the ipod in 2 years. i wanted to buy an iPhone 5s for my 8 year old sister. i am not going to put a sim card in it. will FaceTime, messages , app store , apple music and other features still work?
    i just wanna know what will work and what will not? thanks.

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yes. All functions of the iPhone except for calling will work on. The iPhone will rely heavily on Wi-Fi so every app, function will still work. iMessage will work with an email account since a phone number will not work. In short, as long as the iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi your sister will be able to enjoy 98% of that iPhone!!.

3. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Get a $199 iPod Touch. Does the same as a 5s without the sim.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Not sure if there is a way around this, but if you don't have a SIM card, an annoying pop up screen comes up reminding you hat you don't ha be a SIM card. Very annoying.

I just put in unactivated tmo SIM cards and the message went away.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Did you even read his post? He said he want's a newer iPhone since the iPod Touch hasn't been updated in a while.

6. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

If he is going to use it as a iPod Touch, I would save and get an iPod Touch. That's still my advice.

7. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

That's fine advice, but not answering his question at all. He wants the 5S because the touch has 2 year older tech than the 5S and wanted to know if the same functions would work on the phone as a iPod if there is no SIM card.

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

He wasn't asking for your advice on whether he should get an older iPod touch.

9. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

iPod touch does not have a rear camera unless you get a 32gb version so going the phone route is a great option for future needs.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Every time you update the ios or restore it you will need a sim in order to get passed the activation screen. Has to be a sim that the phone is compatible or network that it is locked to. Or if its an unlocked iphone you can activate it with any gsm sim.
    But remember that you will need one to initially activate it after each ios restore or upgrade.

11. ProtectoBrand macrumors newbie

ProtectoBrand

ipod touch 5th gen is the best choice for your 8 year old sister. and it is less cheaper than the iphone5s. imessage will work on iphone even without sim card because you can use you email address or your apple id.

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Might be worth waiting until July 14, as there will probably be a new iPod touch released that would be a more affordable alternative.

13. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

This was before. Now the new 5th gen iPod Touch 16GB also have the rear camera like the 32GB version.

14. nox5 macrumors 6502

after you put it in airplane mode turn on Wifi only and the message will never show up no sim needed.

15. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I just did this for my daughter, gave her my old 5s to use as an iPod.
    The no number message popped up for me as well.
    I just added a number and it went away.
    I made up some random number and problem solved.
    No airplane mode or sim card needed.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Good to know there are workarounds. I figure the next time we upgrade, we may go with the SIM Free, which means the hand-me-down phones would not have any SIM card.

17. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

Check out the "new" iPod. With much improved spec it would be a good solution.

18. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Perfect timing ... maybe.

I'm actually thinking about selling my two iPhone5 and buying 3 new iPod touches. That way, all 3 of my kids can have their own and I won't have to "lend" my own iPhone to the odd kid out.