Using an iPhone as a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrashX, Oct 16, 2014.

1. CrashX macrumors regular

I swear I'm not trolling.

I have an iPhone 4. It's a great little pocket computer, but it has ALWAYS sucked as a phone.

Whenever I get calls from people on iPhones, I know they have an iPhone, because I can't hear them. I almost always ask, "Do you have your earbuds? Sorry, I can't make out half of what you're saying."

I can't make calls on my iPhone without the earbuds - with the exception of putting it in "speakerphone" mode.

Anyway, my experience has been that they're just terrible phones.

I got my iPhone 4 when they were "cool" - but after getting over my addiction to Angry Birds, I only use the "i" part of the Phone to check email and text. And I now have an aftermarket BT stereo in my Jeep, so I use iTunes in my Jeep.

I'm GenX - I really just don't have any use for an iPhone.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a good mobile phone that works as a phone and just use the same "number" on an iPad?

I do like my iPad and would upgrade to the new iPad released today if I could share the "number" with my iPhone 4 or possibly just get a phone that works really well as a PHONE for talking to people.

2. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Just get a flip phone if you want a real "phone" brah

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Are there any calling plans that don't include data for an iPhone or do they all require you to get data ?

4. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

If you buy on contract, you're required to get data. You can get around this by bringing your own iPhone.

Personally, I've never had a problem with using any of my iPhones as a phone. The only time it's happened is when reception is poor, or there is a lot of noise on one or both ends. All things held constant though, VoLTE may change that.

5. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What iPad was released today?

6. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I think he/she meant announced.

7. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

Well Apple is running out of crap to do apparently.

Maybe the next iPhones might actually focus on making "calls" an enhanced feature?

I preferred it when Apple was the scrappy innovator.

All Tim Cooke and Jony Ives seem to be able to do is say "Amazing" over and over again as they introduce features that are just stupid.

1) Siri. I've been able to talk to my Mac forever. I never have, never will. I'm sure as hell not talking to my Phone.

2) Fingerprint sensor. Yes, now you can protect your extremely over-priced phone and all of your sensitive data with fingerprint protection.

3) ApplePay. Hey, you don't have a job - so we realize how bothersome it must be to swipe a credit card to pay for crap. We've made your life so much simpler.

4) Slow Motion Capture. Yes, now you can upload all of those cool skateboarding tricks to YouTube, for those of you who skateboard, which is who exactly?

My iPhone 4 has a retina display and an HD camera. THAT was a bad ass innovative phone.

At this point, they're reduced to phablets? Seriously?

8. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Yeah, I just linked over to Apple.com. I wasn't up on the iPad Air 2 Announcement. I wonder if it will bend too? :p

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

10. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

We get it, you don't like the iphone. I don't like fruitloops, but I'm not ranting about it. Go get another phone.

11. stasha macrumors 6502

12. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I knew those jokes were coming when they said that it was thinner than the iPad Air 1. 6.1mm is pretty impressive though; thinner than the iPhone 6.:eek:

13. CrashX thread starter macrumors regular

I like MY phone. It fits in my pocket. But they just keep getting bigger and slightly thinner with every new release. I've grown accustomed to keeping my earbuds at hand for business calls. Yeah, it'd be NICE if they put a little R&D into solving that problem, but wah...

Maybe next year they'll introduce the "iPhone Classic" or "iPhone Mini" for guys who carry around keys and a phone in their jeans pocket.

I'm not buying a murse :)

Seriously, if I buy a new iPad mini, can it share the same number as my iPhone 4? I'm just not up for paying $800 so my phone can sync with Yosemite. I'm kinda PO'd about the whole deal. My phone works perfectly FINE. Let the damn thing continue to pass texts via Message to my computer - I'm chill.

14. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

It doesn't sound like you're very chill if you're getting "PO'd" by the new features Apple is bringing to its customers. If you don't want to get the iPhone 6, no one is forcing you to get it.

15. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

As if the 6 is some hulkingly huge thing. I mean, really. Have you even held one in your hand? It's barely bigger than the 5. No one is forcing you to buy a 6 Plus. No one is even forcing you to buy the diminutive 6. Ultimately it's your money and there ARE other choices out there, so what exactly is it that you hope to accomplish by coming here and ranting about how much you hate Apple?

16. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

So one minute you hate you're phone, and the next you like you're phone. You're not really all there are you? :rolleyes:

17. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Sorry OP, but different stokes for different folks. Some people have needs for more advanced features of their phones, and others (like you, and many other iPhone users) do not use it for much else than calling and taking photos. And I have no problem with hearing people on their iPhones.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

What settings are available on the iPhone if you want to only use it as a phone with all other data Wifi only ?

19. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

You mean features? You can still use everything. It's just that the ones that require data will only work 100% if you have a Wi-Fi connection.

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Yep, I was just wondering what is the setting to not allow data over the cell connection (just the call).

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, so you don't like the new iPhones. It is good that you have lots of other phones to choose from. Get whatever meets your needs the best.

22. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data

Disabling this will restrict email, web browsing, and push notifications to Wi-Fi.

23. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Thank you. I'll have to look into it.

24. justindavis098 macrumors member

Why do so many people who come here rag on iPhone lol? It is an iphone forum after all.

25. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I never have anything to say to these discussions because I have never had an issue with call quality on my iPhone, even while talking to other iPhone users.

I love the Apple ecosystem, and how it syncs things data through all your devices. The ecosystem of Android simply isn't the same, I have tried it.

No, Apple doesn't exactly innovate anymore, but they still do some pretty great things. Is it weird that I think Touch ID is actually kind of innovative? Yeah, fingerprint scanning has been done, but not as effectively. It works great on my iPhone 6, but from things I have seen from the Galaxy S5, it seems less than on par. You have to perfectly swipe your finger down over the middle of the scanner? No thanks. Really cumbersome, and from what I have seen, not very accurate either. And these features like "Quick Reply", etc, which has been done before on Android, requires a third party app. Google really didn't do any work to get that done. Apple on the other hand included that feature straight into the default Messages app. I like that sort of ease of use. No figuring out which app does it best, and how you have to weigh the pros and cons of several third party apps.

The only reason people keep ranting how the iPhone isn't innovative is because they expect an ENORMOUS jump from phone to phone, like what most Android phone companies do, which really isn't healthy in the long run because you will plateau much quicker.