Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HolmesQatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I'm about to head off to Nepal and then on to Everest Base Camp (5000m). Apple's website lists the iPhone operating altitudes as being up to 3000m.

My question is this. If the phone is shut off above 3000m will this avoid any problems? What damage would likely be caused anyway? Should I just leave the device at the hotel under lock and key?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Interesting question. While I'm not completely sure if the iPhone would work that high (I don't see why not really). I do know that other people have called there loved ones from the summit on a cell phone (not Sat phone). You can see it on the Discovery Channel's Everest: Beyond the Limit. I've also been skiing at 11,000+ feet and nothing happens to electronics at that hight. Many people used cellphones while there.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the cold & moisture getting to it. Not good. Id' probably leave it at base camp in waterproof bag turned off. Also, I'd be wary of leaving it in your hotel in Nepal.

HolmesQatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
The only potential pitfalls that I have been reading about are to do with iPods and hard drives in laptops, etc. Something to do with the air pressure being too thin and causing the head to touch the unit. But as the iPhone uses flash memory is this even an issue?

And in regard to the cold and moisture, keep it wrapped in some warm clothing? Keep the cold and moisture away as much as possible? The hotel issue was something I was wary about to begin with but need my phone before and after trip as well as some musical entertainment at various points during. Hence the iPhone.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
The only potential pitfalls that I have been reading about are to do with iPods and hard drives in laptops, etc. Something to do with the air pressure being too thin and causing the head to touch the unit. But as the iPhone uses flash memory is this even an issue?
The iPhone is solid state which is why I doubt there will be an issue. But, just in case, I wouldn't leave it on at base camp unless others aren't having any problems with there phones. I sure wouldn't take it to the summit though.

HolmesQatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
So in your opinion what would be a good altitude to stop using it and seal it off until I come down? You mention base camp in a waterproof bag which is 5000m. Do I trust Apple and go with above 3000m? Seems like a sensible thing to do if anything but is there a valid reason? I spend a fair bit of time above 3000m so would like to use the device if at all possible.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
So in your opinion what would be a good altitude to stop using it and seal it off until I come down? You mention base camp in a waterproof bag which is 5000m. Do I trust Apple and go with above 3000m? Seems like a sensible thing to do if anything but is there a valid reason? I spend a fair bit of time above 3000m so would like to use the device if at all possible.
Again, this is my opinion. Please, whatever you do, take what I have to say with a large grain of salt. I don't want to be partly responsible for killing your iPhone.

That said, I really don't see why it shouldn't work at that altitude. I live at 1850m and ski regularly at 3350+m. Other people at the same altitudes seem to have no problems with an iPhone and I, myself, have had no problems with my Sony Ericsson cellphone at the same.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Will you get cell phone service up there? :D
Yes, thanks to China actually.

The only thing I could find was this article talking about a guy who made the first cellphone call from the summit of Everest by taping the cell's battery to his body to ensure it didn't freeze.

[Edit]
Better yet, solid-state means it can be brought all the way to Everest summit.
From this article talking about using an ASUS EEE PC on Everest. If that worked, the iPhone should too as long as you can keep it above it's minimum operating temp.

My only question is how are you going to keep it charged?

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I would call Apple directly, the first climb of Everest with an iPhone could be of interest to them.

HolmesQatar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Well thanks for the tips. Leave on Friday so I'm going to take the gamble and go with it. I'll shut it off I think at about 4000m maybe assuming there's no problems before then. Aside from that I'll just keep it warm at night (daytime is not much of problem) and hope for the best. Not sure what to expect really.

Also, sorry to disappoint you guys but I'm not climbing Everest as I don't quite have the budget for that sort of trip. Just visiting Base Camp this time.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Well thanks for the tips. Leave on Friday so I'm going to take the gamble and go with it. I'll shut it off I think at about 4000m maybe assuming there's no problems before then. Aside from that I'll just keep it warm at night (daytime is not much of problem) and hope for the best. Not sure what to expect really.

Also, sorry to disappoint you guys but I'm not climbing Everest as I don't quite have the budget for that sort of trip. Just visiting Base Camp this time.

Hope you take some pics and post them while your there :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.