Using an iPod as a hard drive for time machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmF, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cmF macrumors member

cmF

Can it be done to work with Time Machine? I know the hard drive speed of an iPod is only 4200rpm but I'll only need to to back up my most rarely used files.

I know the newer ones cannot be used as an external memory device but I have the 3 or 4G 40Gb model I think which I'm told should work.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It'll work in a pinch but keep in mind the drives aren't meant for sustained transfers over long periods of time. Don't make it a boot drive. :p

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It probably would work, but time machine doesn't give you a choice on what files to back up. It backs up your entire computer no questions asked. So as long as your hard drive is 40gb or smaller it should work.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Oh, really? Take a look at the options to exclude files and volumes.

5. cmF thread starter macrumors member

cmF

I posted earlier this week asking about partitioning a hard drive I was about to buy for basic storage, and then another partition for time machine. Then I found my iPod :D

I'm upgrading to Leopard 10.5 soon and I'm going to be installing a lot of new and old software. Big applications like Adobe CS3 and Office as well as all the little ones I use like Firefox, Quicksilver, Yummy FTP, Vuze etc.

Ideally, I just want to get everything installed in one day. Use time machine to back it all up on my iPod.

Every couple months when the performance of my macbook suffers, or my files get too cluttered, I just want to be able to "go back in time" to that one fresh install date on my iPod and reload OSX and applications with all its factory settings.

Easy Peasy right? If not, please tell me so. Thanks for the help!

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I use Time Machine to back up only my iPhoto library. It can be done. I just de-select every folder except for the iPhoto library.