Using an iPod hi-fi in today's world...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by vistokid, Jul 19, 2016.

1. vistokid macrumors 6502

Hi!

I've always wanted one and I finally was able to be my hands on an iPod hi-fi this weekend! Super excited :)

My question is what's the best way to use it in today's world? Meaning for streaming music or running off my iTunes library. I read about using an AirPort Express and running AirPlay, is that still the way to go? Or is there a bluetooth dongle that I can use to get AirPlay?

Any tips would be great appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

This is just my personal opinion but seeing as how this is a great piece of kit, I think it deserves to have a proper iPod with a 30 pin connector on the top of it! With many storage, sizes and colour choices to choose from this is the way to go for your iTunes library even it if it just sits on the dock all the time I like being able to just walk up to it and play a song and you can't beat the click wheel for searching!!

If you want to stream to it, there are Bluetooth to 30pin adapters around and they do the job I guess, I have one for mine but I never use it.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Agreed, grab yourself a 30-pin iPod and use that sucker! That's what I did for the iHome on my desk, and it looks great :)

IMG_2361.JPG

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

5. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

You could just get an older iPod touch and use that. Stream Pandora, iTunes etc...

6. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Ah yes of course, and one of the reasons this 64gb 3rd gen spends all of its time here. (Although I would recommend a 4th or newer with an adaptor)

image.jpeg

7. ddkkpp macrumors 6502

ddkkpp

I found an ancient iPod 80gb (5.5 gen) in my closet and just bought this hifi unit for it. Is the zeppelin better?

I got this for $80(CAD). I like the sound so far; it's been nice to use! I'm going to load it up with some lossless sound and try it out again.

Anyone know how to get a device to ignore the remote? I.e. My hifi unit is above my Apple TV, so whenever I want to skip a song or change the volume, it wakes my Apple TV... :(

8. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I don't unfortunately own both but when I in the process of buying one I did read a lot of reviews of both and from what I could make out they both sound great with very little difference between them. So the main factors to go on are price, features and design. I think the Zeppelin looks better, I also like the way the iPod is easily accessible by the way its presented to you on its arm. But it doesn't have the portable battery option like the iPod hifi. But you can hook up the zeppelin to the TV to watch videos from the iPod while sound comes from the zeppelin. The also both have line in which is useful. The zeppelin does also have a remote but it won't interfere with the apple tv as they are different.

9. craig1024 macrumors regular

You can pair a separate remote to the Apple TV and it will not be affected by the hifi remote but the hifi will be affected by the Apple TV remote.

10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I do stream my iMac library with an airport express. Since I keep it on a shelf in my bedroom that is not near the sitting area or the bed, I prefer this to the iPod option simply because I can have full control of the music using the remote app on my phone and iPad.