Using an iPod Touch as a PDA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Downdivx, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Downdivx macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a new PDA. I would love to get an iPhone but moving to ATT isn't an option for me. I'm considering an iPod Touch, but wanted to hear some real life stories from current users.

So, is anyone using their iPod Touch as their primary PDA?

Thanks

2. atthecross macrumors 6502

I made the switch from a Dell x51v to the iPod Touch. With the Touch hacked it is now a very close.

For straight business use, the x51v is the winner (only if you need to view excel spreadsheets and word docs)

Otherwise, I have not missed my x51v and the Touch is serving my PDA needs but only if it hacked.

3. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The calendar function is excellent! And if you jailbreak and install some apps it works great. I dont know how much battery life you need though and I think that might be a negative.

4. godslabrat macrumors 6502

I would *love* to have an Apple-designed PDA that was in the same vein as the iPod Touch. For a brief time, I had flirted with the idea of getting a touch just for that purpose. Problem is, if you're looking to do real work with Word or Excel, it's just too limiting. Without a physical keyboard or stylus, it's no replace ment for units offered by Dell and HP. So no, I can't seriously suggest using a touch as a PDA unless your PDA needs are VERY light.

Plus, having to hack a brand-new product in order to use it for what I want just rubs me the wrong way. But that's personal preference.

Rumors have been floating around about the possibility of a new small-form-factor product from Apple. It's been speculated that it could be anything from a Tablet PC, to an ultra-thin notebook, to a souped-up PDA. If you don't need to buy in the next month, I'd wait to see what gets announced at Macworld.

5. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

well they announced that apple is planning to make the Touch more "PDA Like " such as the calendar edits and stuff. Which i think is all done through the updates through your computer like the iphone. Like they said they plan on bringing video to the iphone through updates. Which i think is pretty cool.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It depends entirely on your definition of PDA. It sounds to me like some people are needing something more like laptop funtionality from their PDAs. If your requirements are mainly calendar and contacts, IMO the Touch is hard to beat, and now that it allows adding appointments, hacking it is not required. As for the lack of a keyboard, once you get used to the touch keys, you might not miss it at all. If fact I just typed this relpy on my Touch!

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Nice catch. You can go away now. :)

Hey, I've only had it for a week. For sure the Touch has its own unique way of correcting typos.

8. Downdivx thread starter macrumors regular

What apps add PDA functionality to an iPod Touch?

I'm looking more for a "lite" PDA. I don't really have a need to edit Word or Excel docs and could probably use Google Docs to get by in a pinch. I'm not currently connected to any SMB/Enterprise mail servers/etc - just Gmail.

I understand how jailbreaking, hacks, hacked apps, etc work; I just don't know what PDA abilities they can give me. If you are using an iPod Touch as a PDA could you please post any additional apps you have added to improve PDA functionality?

Thanks!

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As mentioned above, none besides the included calendar and address book. No hacking required if this is all you need.

10. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

But hacking makes it just so much better!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'll just have to take your word for that. I bought it for what it can do unhacked and don't plan on playing update roulette.

12. Downdivx thread starter macrumors regular

Any specific apps which make it better?

Thanks

13. twerk macrumors member

yo this is what i did

went to an apple retailer with no intention to do anything
    walked out with an ipod touch

jailbroke it and installed iphone apps
    used it as a PDA

my screen started to lose its functionality...

i wouldnt recomend it
    although att isnt an option for u...
    figure out a way so it can be
    cause iphone is where everything is at

14. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

To cohesively answer your questions, I've had my iPod for a week, and love it.

As far as PDA use goes, I've got Notes (hacked on), Contacts and Calendar, and those three are all you truly need, though there are other apps (I haven't tried yet). If you get Mobile Mail on there, you can email your notes. Contacts are easy to use too.

It is doable, but I've had issues with crashing on hacked apps, so it's up to you.

15. jelloyacket macrumors member

I've got an iPt, and since the latest update (adding calendar editing), I haven't found myself wanting for much. I don't think I'd use an email app that much, since I usually just access gmail through Safari. A notes app, though, would be very nice. I've been making fake contacts, and just editing the Notes field, which is pretty lame. Also, if they could make a way to copy and paste, that would help out a lot, too.

It's nice, and I like using it way better than my phone. Plus it's a heck of a lot better media player than any other PDA I've seen.

16. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Firstly all the iPhone native apps: notes, maps, mail. Then as for other apps: Various games (NES emulator), native IM application, SSH access, eBook reader, and then of course all teh other random apps you may or may not need..

17. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

The iPod touch is meant to be a music player and then handle light PDA functions. While Apple has shyed away from the PDA, I think a new product will be introduced at Macworld that will be inbetween a macbook and an ipod touch...hopefully.

18. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I had all the intention to use my Touch as a PDA. I bought it the day it came out, hacked it, and went to work. A week later I was sick of it.

Typing on a touchscreen is a novelty. It wears off very quickly when you're trying to do actual work with it. I'd say it's a no-go. Mine now sits in my car solely as a music player.

19. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I highly doubt that your screen issue was caused by jailbreaking your Touch, and if the user doesn't need a phone then there's no benefit to the iPhone.