Using an Ipod Touch in Asia

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ks-man, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I'm going to Asia in a couple of weeks for work. If I bring my ipod touch can it connect to an open wifi the same way it does in the US? Does anybody know if there are a lot of free wi-fi hotspots in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok?

Thanks for the help.

2. teddylah macrumors newbie

absolutely can i think, at least in Singapore. U can get free wifi connection almost everywhere . But open safari first, u might be asked to login :D

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.2 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Must be nice. Here in Tokyo, free WiFi spots are few and far between. Perhaps even non-existent - I have actually NEVER found a free, open WiFi network, aside from the one or two I've picked up in residential areas (people forgetting to lock their networks) ... Tokyo absolutely SUCKS for WiFi :(

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is true.

There are some places but they are few and far between. I hope this changes in a few years. Right now cell phones rule and cell phone companies do not want to give up the revenue.

5. Richard.John macrumors regular

Japanese McDonalds have Softbank BB mobilepoint but it's not free, I admit.

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

YES. The catch is that you will need help finding the proper link on the AD page once you connect. Here in Japan, evn some of the railways have free wi-fi, but I can't read the AD page and end up clicking ADs until the train comes :(

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I didn't find too many open Hotspots when visiting those Asian countries you mentioned. Be careful, I remember reading that Singapore has a law to prosecute people who surf on another's WiFi, even if left open. That's not a country you want to be caught breaking the law in.

8. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip. You are definitely right that Singapore is not a country where you want to mess with the law.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, too true. I lived there for a number of years when I was younger and it is definitely a place to stay on the good side of Johnny Law.

10. teddylah macrumors newbie

lol Dont worry about that, got 2 free one for public , they're Stahub and Singtel, check it out http://www.icellnetwork.com/corp/index.htm :D