Using an Ipod Touch without my own computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chamaeleonsky, Nov 13, 2009.

1. chamaeleonsky macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy an ipod touch to replace my macbook, after I murdered it, since I don't have the money for a new computer. The ipod should be sufficient, but I'm concerned about managing data on it. Is there a way I can get *my* itunes account on a jump drive or something so that when i want to update, I can just plug it into a computer at school?
    I'm hoping that most things can be managed directly from the device, like updating my calendar and such, but I'm also concerned about backing it up and getting things on in the first place. At the moment, it seems my best alternative is to take my drive with all my data on it to school, and import everything to that computer, except that does not help me in the long run.
    Does anyone else do this? Any advice?

2. racasper macrumors newbie

I usually go a long time between syncing - a month or so. You really only need a computer to

1. move stuff from CD/DVD to the iPod
    2. firmware updates
    3. backups

and maybe to initialize it in the first place (?).

You can download music and Apps/updates right from the iPod.

If you have access to a computer with iTunes installed on it, carrying your data on a flash drive might work. You'd have to rename the existing data folder, copy yours onto the hard drive, use it, then copy it back to the flash drive. Then delete it from the hard drive and rename the original folder back to what it was. If not a school computer, maybe a friend's?

3. Cje60 macrumors newbie

I dont have a computer either

Same as you, i dont have a computer. Took a bit of grovelling at the Apple store before they would initialise my touch for me, and they set up my i tunes account in the store at the same time. The touch is marketed as a pc so why should you have to have another pc which was my point in the store? No satisfactory answer. I said i would not have bought it if i had known i needed a pc (i bought it for surfing, music and games). Then i asked why couldn't i initialise and set up my account on a pc in store or in a cafe and they said this would not be secure and why not use a friends pc if i didnt want my own? Like a friends pc is any more secure than any other.....? So they caved in eventually.

They did point out that i run the risk of losing all downloads as my touch is not backed up, but in the same sentence the store said "mind you, we have a record of all your downloads"....and reading some of the other threads in this forum, it would appear that you should be able to download them again for free anyway, well apple/i tunes ones but it might take a while if you have a load.
    Maybe there should be somewhere secure on line we could backup our touch to, if you find somewhere, post it for me!!
    Other risks may be that if you want to jailbreak the touch you might have to go through the whole apple initialise again, in store, if you mess up you touch with no pc....i am just guessing this from reading the threads

4. nastebu macrumors 6502

You can re-download applications, but not music (or videos?). The iTunes store is very specific on this. You're responsible for backing up your music and video files. If you lose them, Apple has no responsibility to replace them.

That said, a few years ago they did let me re-download some songs when my computer crashed with no backup. But they made clear to me that it was a one-time courtesy. Apparently Apple has to pay the music companies for each download, so the re-downloading costs them money.

5. Cje60 macrumors newbie

Is there an on line back up somewhere?

Bummer, but thanks for that. Maybe i'll have to beg, borrow or buy a pc!!
    Or find somewhere on line to back up my touch....? Surely that should be available somewhere? Free.....

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There wouldn't be a way to back up your touch online, because if you could, the same method could be used to share all your itunes-purchased music/videos online. Now, if you jailbroke your touch, then you could probably copy files off your touch to any of various free online file storage services, but you are back at needing a computer to jailbreak your touch...

7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Since you say you go to school, is there not a family computer in your house? Or not a family member who might let you have an account on their machine for you to update your iPod?

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Why not buy a netbook instead? Or walmart will have a $200 15inch laptop on black friday. Just saying I think it would be a pain to use the touch as my only computer.