Using an LCD HDTV for tv and computer work

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asphalt-proof, Apr 24, 2007.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

here's the deal:
    I'm looking at purchasing a Macbook or Macbook Pro when the Leopard is released. (I will explain later why I'm am waiting). I would like to use a 32" or 37" LCD HDTV for a monitor. I will be using the laptop as a DVD player and iTunes downloads, games, iPhoto, etc. Working with docs, internet surfing, email, etc. will be done on the laptop screen. Additionally, I will use the LCD for XBOX, and regular TV. This set up will be in my bedroom where I fully expect my wife to cease all romantic overtures to me.

My questions are these: Will the Macbook be able to do this or will a MBP be more appropriate? I would like to stick with the Macbook if possible.
    I am waiting for Leopard because I think the Independent Resolution will make docs look crisper on the screen of the TV. Is this true? Will getting an iTV be necessary or make an easier solution?

When it comes to all things audio/video I am completely at a loss. I have never owned a real stereo system besides a shelf system. Never hooked up my computer to a stereo, tv, etc. So I could use some advice.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

A Macbook should be able to handle what you want to do. What you'll need is a mini-dvi to dvi cable, and then a dvi to hdmi cable. This will allow you to hook up your MB to the HDTV.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Not necessarily, many HDTV's come with a DVI port and/or a VGA port which could be used much more easily to connect a Macbook.

4. Excursions macrumors member

I have a blackbook and use a 32in LG LCD HDTV as a second monitor. It works great for movies and other visuals but also works great for normal computer tasks as well. The resolution is slightly lower than my macbooks but still does a fine job as a second monitor. No need for an :apple: TV if your macbook will be right next to the tv.

5. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i've been duly umimpressed with hdtvs doubling as computer monitors. they're lcds, sure, but i get the distinct impression the tech is several levels behind anything you'd find in a real computer lcd monitor. maybe the $6000 ones are a bit different, but the $2000 models are quite poor; even if it says HD 1080 the picture still looks painfully low res. marginally better than crt to my eye.

6. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

The thing about LCD TVs is that the pixels are huge. They're meant to be viewed from at least some number of feet away (I think it's like 5-10ft). Sitting at your desk, as close as you are to a computer screen, yea it's not going to look so spectacular. Try sitting 10 feet away and reading your computer monitor. Not so easy. Computer monitors and TVs have two different purposes.

7. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I wanted to go with a 26" or more computer LCD monitor would i have to go with a MBP?

What about Independent Resolution in Leopard? Will address the issue of the huge pixels on a HDTV? Would the out put be smoother albeit larger?

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Like I said before, HDTVs have a completely different purpose compared to computer LCDs. Computer screens are meant to be viewed up close, like when you're sitting at a desk, which is why their resolutions are so high and their pixels so small. HDTVs are meant to be viewed from you couch across the living room, which is why the pixels are so big. It's not an "issue" that can be addressed. It's just the way they are. If you try to use your comptuer screen from across your living room, you won't be able to read it. If you try to use your HDTV on a desk while sitting a foot away, it's not going to look so great. It doesn't mean that you can't use the HDTV as a computer monitor. Just put a little space between you and the HDTV and it will be fine. Indepenent resolutions will not help here unless you're zooming in close on applications, in which case it will help with any monitor.

9. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I would highly recommend you bring your rig in to Best Buy, for instance, and connect it to an LCD TV so you can see for yourself what it will look like.

Erendiox explained it very clearly so you might want to re-read his post.

Personally, I love my 40" Samsung LCD for TV, movies and Xbox 360 gaming but I don't care for it as a computer monitor.

10. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Piece of cake! When you get your new setup, create a thread and we'll walk you through it!

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I agree. Have my mac mini hooked up to my Sony XBR960 through HDMI and I am fine between 3-7 feet. Closer and it looks like garbage, farther and it you have to apple + to zoom in.

12. hockeymonkey83 macrumors member

hockeymonkey83

Just thought i add my two cents since i have this setup with my Macbook, i got a mini-dvi to vga adapter at the apple store then it just goes to the vga slot on my tv, the macbook will go up to a resoultion of 1600x1200, i have a 32" LCD i got at bestbuy for $650, and it will let me display up to 1280x768 at 75hz after that it wont pick up a signal, for what i paid and that fact that it is a tv too it does a great job, iTunes looks great on it i just sit on my couch with my mighty mouse and wireless keyboard and use it like that, for the cost of everything i think it is worth it.