Using an old ACD TFT 22" today: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vespina, Jul 23, 2011.

1. vespina macrumors newbie

Hi.

I've allways belived that the old Apple Cinema Display TFT 22" is such a beauty piece of hardware. Allways wanted one but cound't afford it. Now that I can, I wonder if it worth to buy an used one.

[​IMG]

I know that the ACD TFT was the best LCD display of it time, but when you compare its 300:1 contrast ratio with the modern 5.000.000:1 of a normal 22" LG LCD, I wonder if the ACD won't look as I expected.

So, I will love any feedback of those of you that still uses this monitor. I know I can get a modern, better LCD for the same price... but if the ACD still looks great for modern standards, and works with modern Mac hardware, I will happily pay the overprice to get a piece of art.

TIA

Victor Espina

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have a 23" Cinema Display HD. I plan on using it until I simply can't.

It's a very personal thing. When the 27" iMacs came out, I bought one. I returned it 3 days later - I simply hated the screen. My old Cinema display may not be perfect, but it has great color and brightness consistency from edge to edge which is more than I can say for the iMac that I tried.

A.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The problem with the old ADC displays is that they only work with ADC Macs unless you're lucky enough to find one of the old Dr. Bott DVI>ADC adaptors that not only converts the connection but also provides the power supply (these displays drew power from the Mac via the ADC cable). The adaptors have not been available new for some time.

They were excellent quality in the day, but are nothing like as good as current panels.

4. vespina thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. I think this is a dream I will have to let go. I found one of these DVI->ADC adaptors on eBay and there is NO WAY I will have that monster on my desk!

I wonder if you can suggest me a 22" lcd display that has both great performance and an sleek design. I love the CinemaView CV24A 24" LCD display, but for some reason it has been unavailable on Amazon for the last months.

Thanks

Victor Espina

5. vespina thread starter macrumors newbie

Incredible expensive. I almost can buy a 20" LCD monitor for that price. You may have a point about putting the hoel thing out of sight... I don't know... an used ACD HD 23" cost 175$ at Amazon + 150$ for an used Apple ADC-DVI adater, I will pay at least 325$ for a 23" LCD... almost twice than a low priced LG or Viewsonice 22-24" lcd monitor...and for a second hand vintage monitor that can't be fixed anywhere.... not sure if it's a smart move.

By the way, what's the difference between that Apple adapter and this one from Belkin:
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F2E9142-WHT-Apple-Monitor-Adapter/dp/B000067RLH/ref=pd_sim__2

TIA

Victor Espina

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

And I'm not recommending it. I was able to get mine for less than $100 a long time ago. If it fails, I will have a big decision to make.

That adapter lets you plug a DVI monitor into an ADC-equipped Mac - the opposite of the Apple product.

A.

7. 65535 macrumors member

That's where ADC was the best thing, one cable. No third party display to my knowledge can provide power, signal, and peripheral support in such a clean setup. That's the beauty about the Cinema displays.

The display is outdated though, I wouldn't spend money on it. Samsung makes great panels.

8. vespina thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. The problem is that I don't want to buy just any monitor. Design is very important for me. Having a beatifull mac mini attached to a bloated-black-insanelly-ugly display is like an offense to the eye.

So, I guess I'll have to keep looking for a 20" LCD monitor with a sleek design and a price tag under 300$

Thanks

Victor Espina