Using an old PowerMac G5 case for a new computer assembly, good idea?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by akbc, Dec 24, 2008.

1. akbc macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I have an old-ass desktop PC that I wanted to upgrade (especially a gaming machine), so I was looking through a good case.
    However, I really LOVE the mac pro/ PowerMac G5 cases. The silver one with lots and lots of holes in front :D
    And then I saw some PowerMac G5's on sale at my local authorized mac reseller, for a very nice price.

So it got me thinking, I can buy that PM G5, take out the innings, put it to my old desk-top case to use at home (since it's dual 1.8ghz or something like that, which should be very powerful) and use that CASING of PowerMac to build my new computer.

So here's my REAL question:
    1. would that be a good idea?
    2. Would all the components, ATX Motherboard, a nice graphic card that's big, (thinking of GTX 260 or ATI 4870) fit inside? And also, what's the built-in power supply at?

Thank you in advance! Very excited about this project :D

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Doesn't sound cost efficient to me but you know.. it's your money. Just be prepared to do some case modifications cause the G5 case doesn't have the mounting holes or fixtures for ATX mobo's. You'll also need to cut a whole at the rear for the ATX's ports.

I'm not the one to know the in's and out's for the G5...
    But knowing Apple, their PSU won't be the standard fit. It'll most probably have custom connectors.

Good Luck

3. akbc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, thanks for your reply!

Yeah, it may seem that way, but for $399.99 CDN, that PowerMac just seems too good to be true :)
    Besides, if I can somehow put the components from the PowerMac into my old case (which is pretty darn big) I can get a nice case plus a very powerful Mac.

As a university student, I am not loaded with anything, and I usually don't game much, but since Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3's announcements, I've been ******** my pants to build a very nice gaming machine.

I know they both would run very well on my MBP, but since I'm a Korean, and a lot of god damn essential (banking, music portal and news) Korean websites require ActiveX when browsing them, I just decided to build a Windows machine myself.

But this "mod" seems so scary, I just love Apple, but I hate it when they're so close-minded. Haha. I shall do my research a little more, I guess..

Thanks for your wonderful insight! Appreciate it :)

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*