Using an old-style Apple monitor on a newer Apple computer?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 24, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey guys,

So I wanted to do something kind of silly, but fun. I was thinking it would be cool to set-up a cheap PowerPC Mac or early Intel Mac (like our dilapidated 2006 MacBook), on a classic Apple display. (such as my 1987 Apple RGB display). I have this adapter to VGA, which has some dip switches on it, but I wasn't able to get it to work. Is it possible to successfully achieve this?

I'd like to hide the laptop and put a IIci or something under the monitor, and plug in a period Apple keyboard/mouse. I think it would be pretty cool!

Obviously it would be an occasional-use computer, as I would not want to stare at that CRT all the time.

....or am I mistaken and this is for connecting a VGA monitor to an older Apple computer?

Thanks.

Here are pictures of the adapter:

Attached Files:

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Im sure it's possible with that adapter. I'm using a Power Macintosh 6100/66 with a modern Dell monitor, so I guess it can be reversed, lol.

3. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

That adapter

It is for Mac to VGA not the other way. As far as I know no older monitors with DB15 can be used with VGA.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

That sucks... I guess it's obvious, as nobody would make a cable with THAT in mind xD

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

It is not

Neat idea, I mean I use an ADC to DVI for an old 22" Apple flat screen. I even put a real rainbow apple logo on the front to really make it cool.

Attached Files: