Using an SDXC card in place of external hdd on RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Jun 21, 2012.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Since my RMBP only has 256GB of storage, I've been trying to find the most convenient way of storing my media files externally. I know SD cards are mostly used for cameras, but can I store other files on them as well? I mostly need it for my iTunes content. I would probably just leave it plugged in at all times. Also, is 128GB the maximum size at the moment? Thanks for any help!

2. corvus32, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

corvus32 macrumors 6502a

You can store anything you want on them basically, but I wouldn't recommend leaving one in all the time. You could easily damage the card or the reader if it were to get bumped.

If you need speed, there are some USB3 flash (thumb) drives that rival internal SSD's and offer more GB per dollar compared to SD cards.

For the most part, I keep my SD cards with my cameras and plan on picking up one of these or the 128GB version for external storage.

EDIT: It's hard to beat the convenience of the SD card's form factor though.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You can put your iTunes library onto it or any other file you want. It's not exclusive to cameras or something like that.

Just keep in mind that the MacBook's SD card slot does not have a push in push out mechanism- it just sticks out like a sore thumb. It might be a bit annoying to have to plug it in every time you need to get something off it.

[​IMG]

^^ that's as far in as it'll go (twss, I know).

4. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. Whats faster? USB 3 or sdxc?

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I already knew the answer but wanted to see how long it would take someone who didn't know it to find out by searching on Goole. It took about a minute give or take a few seconds.

6. TheMacBookPro, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

USB 3.0: 640MB per second, (up to)

As for the memory cards, the fastest out there are around 100MBps.

USB 3 is going to be much faster no matter how you cut it.

In practice you'll likely get around 100-150MB per second transfers with a hard drive and with a flash drive around 200-300MB per second.

7. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

The fastest SD cards available are UHS-I class, which tops out around 100MB/s.

Compare that to a 225MB/s USB3 flash drive.

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Just use a USB3 flash drive if you don't want a HDD