Using an unlocked iPhone with iPhone data plan possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jonsailo, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jonsailo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm currently on a 2 yr contract with AT&T and have recently bought a refurbished 4GB iPhone from Apple. I've tried searching many times, but haven't found an answer to this question:

Is it possible to unlock my iPhone and then use it with the official iphone data plans (ie activating using the official way?)

The reason I want to do this is because I travel abroad several times during the year and would like to use the iPhone's phone function, while keeping the unlimited data plan when I'm in the US.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. blacjaq24 macrumors newbie

what fucntions in perticular?

if its just the net you wanna use, you can just turn your iphone into a pick your plan with unlimited data and text so you don't have to worry too much.

3. stevehp macrumors 6502

Just turn off edge when roaming. There is an option on the phone for that. You can use the phone anywhere without the data.

4. jonsailo thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys,

thanks so much for your help! so i guess so far, no one has used an unlocked iphone with iphone plans? It's just i have phone contracts abroad and want to use them too...roaming would be way too expensive for me

I've also heard problems with using regular at&t sim cards as they can catch you and limit your access/use?

thanks again!

5. stevehp macrumors 6502

Well, you could just restore and unlock before you go away every time. The just restore and re-activate with AT&T when you get back

6. jonsailo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot your help stevehp :) just wondering though, has anyone been successful in unlocking the iphone after activation with at&t?