Using an unlocked phone...on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoneWolf121188, Sep 25, 2007.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads regarding this...when the phone first came out, people were pissed that they couldn't use it on their business account and get the discount. Well, now that its unlocked, couldn't you use your current phone's SIM in the iPhone and still have your business account?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Isn't this handled at the billing level? I.e., if you have the iPhone data package, your business discount disappears.

3. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Yes, you can unlock it and stick your business accounts sim in there.

4. hiitzDENNIS macrumors newbie

would it still work if firmware 1.1.1 came out and still use independence and activate it? I am getting one either this week or next week but i am afraid that when i get it the phone will have the latest firmware and it might brick the phone if i do something like that...

5. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You'll just have to wait once the update is out I am sure there will be people testing and working on it and hopefully there will be a work around for the new update as well.

6. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I just got my iphone yesterday, put my At&T business SIM card in, and used independence to get it going....a few days prior I added the Unlimited media max bundle or whatever it is to the business account. So far, the iPhone has worked flawlessly and all seems to be going well. Now I just have to wait for the first bill to make sure it's all good.

7. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great news! I might considering doing this, depending on what the unlimited data costs are...

8. schultzem macrumors newbie

I did the same . When you logged into you online account what device shows up? Is it an Iphone? Mine shows up as an iphone, and remains that way even when I try to change it.

Also, when you call 611, do you get iphone specific options?

Thanks

9. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

The unlimited media max plus 200 messages bundle is $20 a month, the same as the iPhone data plan. Makes my unlocked iPhone on a business plan a nice little $35 a month. I'm extremely happy with the iPhone so far. I'm actually typing this from my iphone:)

10. sJv macrumors regular

You don't have to go through the steps to unlock the iPhone to use an existing AT&T SIM. You only have to activate it using something like INdependence. This is far less "hacking" than a full unlock, and will likely be the first thing back up and running after the update.

-steve

11. schultzem macrumors newbie

Hey the1payday,

I;m in the same boat as you. I got the Media Max 200 bundle for $19.99 added to my business plan. The bundle supposedly gives you unlimited data, but since I havent gotten my first bill yet, I;m a little hesitant - especially with stories from people without unlimited data getting horror bills.

Have you gotten your first bill yet? Is it truly unlimited data with the Media Max 200 bundle?

Thanks,

S

12. hiitzDENNIS macrumors newbie

I am using the iPhone with a regular art sum card I did everything using independence wen iTunes read my iPhone I can't seem to see my phone number is there anything wrong? Does urs show the phone number

13. schultzem macrumors newbie

hiitzDENNIS - what do you mean you see your phone number? Did you mean you can't see the existing contacts on your regular sim? If so, I also noticed that the iPhone does not recognize contacts stored in regular sim cards - it gets its contacts from syncing via iTunes.

Here's what I did to get my contacts:

1. I put my simcard into my old nokia phone (or any other phone that can sync with outlook contacts) and synced my simcard contacts to outlook.
    2. I then put my simcard back into my iPhone and synced it with iTunes. Just make sure your itunes is set up to sync Outlook contacts.

Maybe someone else knows a better way, but this worked for me.

Cheers,
    S