Using and External Monitor with a Macbook

Powercaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I have a Macbook and am using an external monitor as an extension to my desktop.

When I move applications over to the external monitor, I can work on the external monitor fine, but the toolbar still remains on the Macbook.

For example, when I am using Microsoft Word, I can move the document I am editing over to the external monitor to work on, and can have email, or some other application on my Macbook screen...but if I want to change fonts, or track changes, or anything else using the Word toolbars, I have to go back to the Macbook screen.

I can move each toolbar over to the monitor manually, but that is tedious. I am wondering if there is a way to automatically lock the toolbars to the application, so if i move an application to the external monitor, all of the toolbars go with it.

Thanks in advance.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Make your external monitor your primary. System Prefs> Displays set external to display 1. That'll at least put everything on the big screen to begin with. Not sure if you can make everything move on the fly like that.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Go to System Preferences then click the Display tab.

You should get a window showing both screens and one has the dock (just a wee blue box at the bottom of one of the screens). Drag that over to the external monitor, and that'll make it the primary monitor.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
(just a wee blue box at the bottom of one of the screens).
You Scotsman. After you move the blue box you can have a rest by the loch and enjoy a finger of the finest McCallum Scotch whiskey while playing ye bagpipes.

I couldn't resist. Edinburgh is a beautiful city though, I really loved it.