Using and External Monitor with a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Powercaster, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Powercaster macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook and am using an external monitor as an extension to my desktop.

When I move applications over to the external monitor, I can work on the external monitor fine, but the toolbar still remains on the Macbook.

For example, when I am using Microsoft Word, I can move the document I am editing over to the external monitor to work on, and can have email, or some other application on my Macbook screen...but if I want to change fonts, or track changes, or anything else using the Word toolbars, I have to go back to the Macbook screen.

I can move each toolbar over to the monitor manually, but that is tedious. I am wondering if there is a way to automatically lock the toolbars to the application, so if i move an application to the external monitor, all of the toolbars go with it.

Thanks in advance.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Make your external monitor your primary. System Prefs> Displays set external to display 1. That'll at least put everything on the big screen to begin with. Not sure if you can make everything move on the fly like that.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Go to System Preferences then click the Display tab.

You should get a window showing both screens and one has the dock (just a wee blue box at the bottom of one of the screens). Drag that over to the external monitor, and that'll make it the primary monitor.

4. Stopsignguy macrumors member

Nope.

You could always make the external your "main" with the taskbar on that screen .

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You Scotsman. After you move the blue box you can have a rest by the loch and enjoy a finger of the finest McCallum Scotch whiskey while playing ye bagpipes.

I couldn't resist. Edinburgh is a beautiful city though, I really loved it.